Yes, Yes, Yes.
When you’re starting to create a lot of items using cotton yarn, wool, crochet thread you need to have baskets for better storage purpose. I was using big plastics for storing bulks of yarns previously. This looked clumsy and cluttered.
I was planning to buy one big storage container but the ones which I liked came with a price. I was very much disappointed that I cannot think of investing so much in a storage box at this moment of my time.
I was browsing online for making hobo/Jhola bags, beach bags etc. This gave me an idea to look for big baskets/ bags ideal for storing yarn. I liked Crochetbug stash bag pattern. I didn’t make the handles and converted the bag into a basket and call it as Stash Basket of Yarn.
The greatest part is, for the base I used all the few strands of yarn scraps leftovers. I joined all the left yarns (from my previous projects) and started making the base. I have no idea why I didn’t throw them. I’m happy I used all the old wool packs.
Step 1: I started with a magic ring and 6 DC.
Step 2: ch 2, and increase each row by multiple of 6 till I was happy with the base width.
Step 3: ch 2, I repeated the last row count and worked on Back loop only.
Step 4: ch 2, DC on each DC. Continued this will 4 rows.
Step 5: Changed the color and ch 1, I made SC 1st stitch, chain5, skip 5 SC, SC on 6th stitch. repeated this till the end of row.
Step 6: With the same color, ch 1, SC in each sc and 5sc on ch5. Repeat till end of the row.
Step 7: ch 2, DC on each SC.
Step 8: ch 1, SC on each DC.
Step 9: Repeat step 5-step 8 until you are happy with the length.
Step 10: Changed the color and ch 1, I made SC 1st stitch, chain5, skip 5 SC, SC on 6th stitch. repeated this till the end of row.
Step 11: With the same color, ch 1, SC in each sc and 5sc on ch5. Repeat till end of the row.
Step 12: ch 2, DC on each SC.
Step 13: ch 2, DC in each DC for 2 rows.
Step 14: ch 1, SC on each DC and finish Off.
Dimensions of the basket:-
- Height: 9″
- Diameter: 15″
- Add a handle to it to carry around.
- The sizes can be changed based on your requirement. This bag expands further 4-5″ for wool to insert properly.
- You can insert a liner inside the basket if you are keeping small items, to avoid falling off.
- You can add pom-pom, tassels, charms, miniature idols, mini toys, amulets etc matching the color with the edging or the base color. Link to make pom-pom and tassels.
- You can attach flowers, beads, appliques or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather, fabric etc to make it more interesting.
Remember: do not over accessorize it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Stash Basket Of Yarn
- Choose the color matching with your Home Decor. You can also prefer contrast color to pop up a section.
- If in doubt, go for earthy colors or natural colors.
- The basket can be used to stash away toys, throws, wool, any clutter around your house.
- If you insert and stitch a liner inside the basket, then you can add a drawstring to make it as go to bag for the beach too.
- Yarn: scraps of leftover yarn.
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5.5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Markers: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customized form, please check out the following the further options. The color combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD-Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.