The most attractive part in Knitting is the cable formations. The cable designs created through knitting are so refined. It is very difficult to get that same perfection, finesse and flow through crochet. I know this because I tried a lot of times and I failed every time.
I love with CROCHET for the very reason that gives us the choices of working on extensive combinations and patterns. It is something that is impossible to compare with Knitting. But my craziness to get those cable formations, motivated me to get a loom knit kit. I thought I will be creating some unique combinations of knit cables and crochet patterns. To my despair, the loom knitting styles are best used for lacey effects or for thick gauge yarn to create scarves, hats or afghans.
Having said that, it is much easier to pick up knitting designs and that too in a short period of time. Loom Knit Kits provide quicker and easier methods to create scarves, wraps, dishcloths, hats, afghans etc.
I am not saddened by this experience, rather I am learning loom knitting and getting familiar with its nuances and terminologies. Today, I am just trying it out, One day I might become a knitting expert, who knows?
I bought Boye Value Loom Kit in order to learn everything in loom knitting. I tried circular and rectangular looms to create wraps but weren’t successful in achieving that look.
For this Cowl, I used 26 pegged rectangular loom. Out of 26 pegs, 24 pegs are used to form an 8 shape on each parallel pegs.
Instead of going all the way to 70″-80″ scarf, I made the scarf till 30″ and joined the edges to form a cowl.
Note: Please make sure your yarn thickness is more than DK ( 8-Ply). Loom knit does not provide close stitch like knitting if you are using yarn lesser than 8-ply thickness. Either you can use 2-3 strands of the same color to provide the thickness or use a thick yarn.
Dimensions of the cowl:-
- Circumference: 30″
- Width: 6″.
- Attach pom-poms, tassels, buttons, appliques, flowers made of crochet, leather, fabric, resin, faux fur etc. at the joining the cowl to give a defined look.
- The tassels or pompoms color should be of the base color or any contrast color. Shades of white, golden, silver, brown, creme, mustard will add the beauty. Link to make pom-pom and tassels.
- You can involve 2 different contrast colors of yarn while creating the cowl.
Remember: do not over accessorize it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Pumpkin Loom Knit Cowl
- Select the yarn color matching with you winter wear. Try out the Hat-Scarf combo, Scarf-Gloves combo, Hat-Scarf-Gloves trio.
- Choose the contrast colors matching with your jacket.
- Choose the wool color based on the palette in the wardrobe. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colors.
- Yarn: Jo-Ann Big Twist – Pumpkin
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Loom Knit Rectangular: 26 pegs
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customized form, please check out the following the further options. The color combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.