Santa Sons Earflap Hat
Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus,
Right down Santa Claus Lane.Vixen, Blitzen, all his reindeer
Pulling on the reins.
Bells are ringing, children singing,
All is merry and bright.
Hang your stockings and say a prayer,
‘Cause Santa Claus comes tonight.
Christmas is here. All kids are waiting for Santa who’ll get them the presents they wished for. He’ll bring the joy, the wish, the happiness and make this Christmas more jovial. Who was the real Santa? whychristmas explains the story behind our cute and chubby Santa. St.Nicholas secretly started giving gifts to poor and needy people. For one poor family, in order to get their daughters married, he dropped the bag of gold down the chimney into their house. It fell into the stocking that was drying by the fireplace.
Some people do say that Santa is a myth but whatever it is, Christmas gives everyone a reason to rekindle childhood, to be a kid and enjoy that time of the year with the family, and even though these people forgot the stories, delivering gifts to the children has been continuing.
I want to gift my two nephews a Christmas present too. So, here it is, a Santa Earflap Hat for both of my nephews. I liked the pattern from Micah Makes – Crochet Santa Hat. It is normal procedure of making an earflap hat with Half Double Crochet (HDC).
We just need to take care of black belt formation. It should be almost at the end of the hat. Since the belt is 1″, stop your red colour yarn and work on your black yarn.
It is all about correct calculation. Check the gauge required to make 1″. Out of 6″ of the height, work 4.5″ on HDC with red, then 1″ of black and then 0.5″ red.
R1: With yellow yarn, ch 28; join at the beginning.
R2: Ch 1, Single Crochet (SC) for 4 chains, 3 SC in next chain, SC for 9 chains, 3 SC in next chain, SC for 4 chains, 3 SC in next chain, SC for 9 chains, 3 SC in next chain. Join at the beginning.
- Calculation of the position of Black belt band is important.
- It will be easy if the basics hat excluding ear flaps are defined. For e.g. if the total height of the earflap hat is 8″ where 2″ is assigned for ear flaps, then the basic hat should be 6″ in height.
- Since the number of rows alters due to different yarn sizes and crochet hooks, it is best to total up the number of rows required to make 1″. Based on this calculation, the position of the black belt can be set.
- Height of the ear flap head: 6″
- Height of the flap: 2″
- Circumference: 18″-20″
The sizes can be altered based on the count of the stitches for the rows.
- You can increase the base diameter to give a more slouchy feel. Also, increase the height of the beanie.
- You can add pom-pom matching the colour with the edging or the base colour. There are different ways to create pom-pom.
- You can attach flowers, beads or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather etc to give cuteness to the hat.
- you can put fur edging or tassels to give a different touch.
But I do not think we need to go for any other additional anymore. The Santa costume captured in the hat is enough to enjoy.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Santa Sons Earflap Hat
- Choose the colour matching with the winter jacket.
- Go for the contrast colour of the jacket of choice. You might suit the colour with cowls or gloves.
- Choose the wool colour based on the palette in the wardrobe. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colours.
- Yarn: Vardhman Wool – Black, Yellow, Red, White
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then, the elegant stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adapt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs every time you use or share them.