Rectangular Mosaic Rug
There are a variety of patterns around. Some are ancient, some are modern and some are evergreen. Out of them, mosaic art is evergreen for me.
Interestingly, this form of art dates back to the days of Mesopotamia culture in the 3rd millennium BC, where it was found in coloured stones, shells, and ivory. It has come a long way to become a popular craft.
Mosaic art is shaped by organising small pieces around to create a unified image. It could be used as eclectic, traditional, modern or contemporary themes for any interior or exterior decoration.
I was inclined towards learning different objects using crochet and decorate my home with mosaic art. I have already made Mosaic table mats for a customer and this was my attempt to learn and create a mosaic rug for my home.
The rug has worked horizontally but it gives a look of rectangular boxes repeated throughout. I liked the pattern from VintageCrochetRug – A Mosaic Rectangle. It is one of the most tiring and time-consuming projects that I have worked on.
Instead of working on the pattern exactly as it is scripted, I increased the initial chain count to 93 and followed the procedure.
R1: Chain 93.
R2: Continued the pattern.
Tip: It requires patience, full attention, and regular re-checks. Any miss or skip of stitch is not visible until the row is complete.
Remember to add a layer of non-slippery rubber spray or shelf liner at the back of the floor mat.
- Length: 38″
- Width: 16.5″
- The sizes can be changed based on your requirement.
- The open design is the main attraction of the mat. But you can add edging to form in a confined space.
- The edging can be made of Single Crochet (SC), Crab Stitch, Slip Stitch, Herringbone Half Double Crochet (HHDC).
- Instead of regular yarn, fur yarn will bring out a pop to the border.
- Instead of going for a different colour for the border, use both the base colours around for alternate rows.
- The border shouldn’t be too broad to pop out. The purpose should be to provide a clean edge.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Rectangular Mosaic Rug
- Place it on the doorstep OR on the entryway Or in the Kids bedroom.
- Choose the colour matching with your interiors walls.
- Go crazy with experimental contrast colours with your furniture to pop out a section. Make sure the interiors are mostly containing natural, neutral or earthy colours around.
- To showcase the mosaic pattern, you should always select a base colour and a contrast colour.
- For the stitches or pattern to be visible clearly, choose lighter shades of yarn.
- The mat should be different than the floor colour.
- The rubber liner will avoid slippage on any floor – hardwood, carpet, tiles, vinyl, cement etc.
- The liner should not pop out. Select matching colour or subtle colour for your mat.
- Yarn: Jo-Ann Caron One Pound – Expresso, Jo-Ann Caron One Pound – Rose
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5.5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Sewing Thread matching with the base colour
- Sewing needles
- Non-Slippery Base: Rubber Spray Paint, Shelf Liner
- Stitch Markers: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adapt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide the due credit to Knot My Designs every time you use or share them.