In a growing family, in order to avoid clutter, it is best to use boxes or sections to keep the items arranged rather than lying around. For cold regions, as soon as winter approaches, the winter accessories (scarves, mittens, cowls, beanies, hats, gloves etc.) are all out for daily use. The best way to keep them organized is to box them.
That’s what my sister decided, and she bought a few clothed boxes to keep them in the mud room. Now, with the increase in the number of accessories, it became necessary to label them. So, I decided to sew the names on each of the boxes for each family member. Embroidering the alphabets was time taking and gave me the idea for making appliques using crochet. I created alphabet appliques depicting the first letter of their names.
Now there are different ways to label them. Stickers, Fabric paint, Stencil Alphabets, Alphabet appliques made of fabric etc.
Thankfully there were patterns online to help me to try a few. I could have sat n wrote the pattern myself. But due to time constraint, I started looking for the pattern online. I liked the Moogly Crochet Alphabet Appliques. “A”, “K” and “S” followed a similar link. “I” is simple single crochet stitches for 2-3 rows.
- Size a single applique: 3″-4″
- The sizes can be changed based on your requirement.
- You can give a defined edging.
- The edging can be made of Single Crochet (SC), Crab Stitch, Slip Stitch, Herringbone Half Double Crochet (HHDC).
- Instead of regular yarn, fur yarn will bring out a pop to the border.
- Instead of going for a different color for the border, use both the base colors around for alternate rows.
- The border shouldn’t be too broad to pop out. The purpose should be to provide a clean edge.
Remember: do not over accessorize it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Naming Alphabet Appliques
- Label anything and everything possible.
- Create your name appliques, add a key ring and use it as a Key Chain.
- Use them as Bag Charms, embellishment for hats, scarves etc.
- Choose the wool color based on the palette in the wardrobe. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colors.
- Yarn: Yarnspirations Sweet N Cream – Dazzle Blue
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 4.5 mm
- Sewing Needle
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customized form, please check out the following the further options. The color combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD-Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.