I stumbled upon a post that gave a beautiful definition to creativity and experimentation. It said that creativity was to think and ask in novel ways; experimentation was the road to creativity. I agree to it. Creativity is nothing, but an outcome of the experiment. It sometimes fails or sometimes opens up a new possibility of knowing the unknown. Quite a few times, what is imagined is simple to achieve. However, sometimes it looks viable in theory but is unachievable in practicality.
In designing, both creativity and experimentation go hand-in-hand. When you experiment with something you get a new output. It might be pleasing to the eye or it might also be a disaster. But play the game safely when you are mixing and matching between various combinations of colours, fabrics or any material. In my quest to creativity, I was looking out to create new items with mix and match concept using the remaining yarn in my Stash Basket. Here is what I got. Bringing contrasting colours together, these crochet slouchy beanies from Knot My Designs are beautiful examples of experimentation and creativity.
Base and Body:-
- Starting with a magic circle and 12 DC on back loop (BLODC), increase by 12 continuously for 6 rows. Total count 72DC.
- BLODC 72 times on the previous 72 BLODC. Repeat this row until the hat height measures 7.5-8″.
72 single crochet(SC) /half double crochet (HDC) depending on the thickness of the yarn to give consistent thickness overall. Continue this till the brim measures 1″.
- Height: 7.5″-8″
- Circumference: 20″-22″.
The sizes could be altered based on the count of the stitches for the rows.
- You can increase the base diameter to give a more slouchy feel. Also, increase the height of the beanie.
- You can add pom-pom matching the colour with the edging or the base colour. There are different ways to create pom-pom.
- You can attach flowers, beads or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather etc to give cuteness to the hat.
- You can put fur edging or tassels to give a different touch.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Mix-Match Slouchy Beanie
- Select the yarn colour matching with your winter wear.
- Try out the Hat-Scarf combo, Hat-Gloves combo of the same pattern or different pattern but the same colour mix.
- Choose the contrast colours matching with your jacket.
- Choose the wool colour based on the palette in the wardrobe. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colours.
- Yarn: Jo-Ann Red Heart – Royal Blue, Jo-Ann Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice- Pearl Mist, Jo-Ann Red Heart – Chocolate, Jo-Ann Big Twist Chunky – Chunky City Pathway, Jo-Ann Bernat Baby – My Sunshine
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5.5mm, 6mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD-Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.