It is good to get repeat orders from our customers, it shows that they liked the product and trusted us. And I had the same feeling when this particular customer (who had earlier purchased a beanie) contacted us again for another beanie.
This time, he particularly wanted some customization; which included a men’s beanie with a new pattern but in a shade of blue. I wanted to make a smart beanie which is creative, bright and yet complementing to his age than making him look a lot younger.
I had made a few male beanie and few uni-sex beanies before like the Wave Stitch beanie and the Slouchy beanie.
I started making a fresh one, but following the similar designs, I had tried before. I had almost completed 15 rows, and I felt, it was the same old stuff, with a little tweak rather being a creatively different one. So I undid everything. I was very disappointed and exhausted. I decided to take a break for a couple of days.
The beanie design consists of 3 parts:
R1: Magic Circle, Ch 2, 12 Double Crochet stitch(DC), Join on the 1st DC. (12 DC)
R2: ch 2, 2 DC in each DC, join on 1st DC.(24 DC)
R3: ch 2, *2 DC in 1st DC, 1 DC in next DC*, repeat till beginning. Join on 1st DC. (36 DC)
R4: ch 2, *2 DC in 1st DC, 1 DC on next 2 DC*, repeat till beginning. Join on 1st DC. (48 DC)
R5: ch 2, *2 DC in 1st DC, 1 DC on next 3 DC*, repeat till beginning. Join on 1st DC. (60 DC)
R6: ch 2, *2 DC in 1st DC, 1 DC on next 4 DC*, repeat till beginning. Join on 1st DC. (72 DC).
R7: ch 2, *2 DC in 1st DC, 1 DC on next 5 DC*, repeat till beginning. Join on 1st DC. (84 DC).
R1: continue with Main Color, Ch 3, *Skip next dc, DC on next DC, ch1*, repeat till beginning, End with DC.
R2: (use another colour) ch2, *DC on ch 1 gap from the previous row, skip next DC, Ch1*, repeat till beginning, end with ch1.
repeat R1-R2 till the size of beanie is extended for 3 inches. There should be 2 rows of one colour.
For example: R2-R3=Above R2, R1 = light blue color, Next R4-R5 = ABove R2, R1 = Dark Blue color.
R1: Connect to Main colour, ch 2, DC on Each DC, DC in each chain 1 space. Join to the 1st DC.
R2: ch 2, * Front Post Double Crochet (FPDC) on 1st DC, Back Post Double Crochet (BPDC) on next DC*, repeat till the beginning. Join on 1st DC.
Repeat R2 till the edging size is 3 inches.
In the end, the beanie length will be 9″.
- Height for an adult man hat: 9″
- Circumference: 23″-24″
The sizes could be altered based on the count of the stitches for the rows.
- For edging, you can use fur, Crab Stitch, Herringbone Half Double Crochet (HHDC) or Slip Stitch of same or contrasting colours.
- You can increase the base diameter to give a more slouchy feel. Also, increase the height of the beanie.
- You can increase the Brim by more than 1 row to define a brim.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Mesh Shade Beanie
- Select the yarn colour matching with your winter wear. Try out the Hat-Scarf combo, Hat-Gloves combo of the same pattern.
- Choose the contrasting colours matching with your jacket.
- Choose the wool color based on the palette in the wardrobe. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colors.
- Yarn: Jo-Ann Big Twist – Dark Denim, Jo-Ann Big Twist – Light Denim
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5.5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Markers: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD-Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.