This is my first attempt at making a shrug. I haven’t made even a body wear before. So far, it has been all about the beanies, hats, and scarves. Even though I have hands on experience on a sewing machine, I never designed, cut and sew any dress. It has always related to mending the open stitch or increasing/decreasing the waist/bust sizes.
Stitching a dress material to make shrugs, tops, pants, salwar-kameez is not easy. But I decided to make a shrug for myself first using crochet. There are few irregularities in this shrug as the size seemed to shrink as I thought it will be. So instead of Fall or Winter accessory, I am using it for early Fall or spring time.
If you have sewing experience, then this will be the simplest shrug you have ever worked on. I am thinking of making a mesh shrug for myself. A boho look shrug for summers! What do you think? Hopefully, it’ll come out of the exact measurements that I have planned for.
I looked for basic shrug patterns online. I was very much impressed with the AllAboutAmi creations. After going through her blog, I found that she made it from Lion Brand Pattern. But as usual, I modified it as per my height and body shape. I followed the pattern in Stephanie’s blog for a better understanding. This shrug is suitable for fall, spring and winter season, and is in Favourite colour- BLUE.
This is a simple pattern of Back Loop Single Crochet. However, the challenge is in making the initial chain counts to get the height that you want. I had to frog a number of items in order to get the correct initial chain that will fit my body type.
I do not remember the count but it is definitely higher than mentioned on Stephanie’s Blog.
Dimensions of the shrug:-
- Length: 40″
- Width: 32″.
- You can add brooch or buttons alongside the collar length.
- The long length edging, you can have a Crab Stitch, Single Crochet, Slip Stitch.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Easy Going Shrug
- Select the yarn colour matching with your winter wear. Try out hats matching or in contrasts with the shrug.
- Choose the contrast colours matching with your attire.
- Style with your maxis or mini. The wrap is so graceful that it will also be an accessory to your outfit.
- Choose the wool colour based on the palette in the wardrobe. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colours.
- Yarn: Caron Simply Soft Yarn From Michaels – Blue
- Crochet hook: 5.5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Markers: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels – Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.