Christy Moss Slouch Hat
Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells,
Jingle all the way!
What fun it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh.
Silent night, holy night,
Bethlehem sleeps, yet what light,
Floats around the heavenly pair;
Songs of angels fill the air.
Strains of heavenly peace.
In continuation of our conversation around traditions and customs of Christmas, this time, I am talking about Christmas Carols.
Carols meant singing and dancing and ultimately enjoying. Earlier people followed it throughout the year, but slowly this trend was lost with time and carols got more associated with Christmas. You might have heard about singing pagan songs, Angels Hymn that defined singing Christmas Carols for the generations. Later in 1600’s, the carol singing started gaining popularity with orchestras and choirs. They composed new songs and till today people follow it religiously at every home on the Christmas Eve.
As promised, I decided to make a slouch hat for an adult woman for Christmas. I have already shared Santa Claus Hat for men, Cherry Wherry Slouch Hat for an adult woman. Time to celebrate this Christmas in style with the classic red and white Crochet Christy Moss slouchy hat for women. Bring style, season n comfort together.
I liked MeladorasCreations – Moss Stitch Slouch Hat pattern for any female adult. You can wear it casually while travelling for work too. I modified it as I was looking for a Christmasy look or Christmasy effect on the hat. I avoided pom-pom to give it more subtle look. But then I did more than a few modifications.
R1: chain 12, single crochet on a 2nd hook from the chain. Total 11 SC.
R2: Single Crochet Back Loop Only (SCBLO). Total 11 SCBLO.
Continue R2 till the circumference is 16″-18″ and it ends with an even row. Join at the beginning with Slip Stitch Crochet. Total 72 SC.
Note: The ribbing stretches by 2″-4″ depends on the crochet hook and yarn and your style.
Chain 1, single crochet around with the same white colour yarn. Total 72 SC.
Edging: on the other side work on Reverse Single Crochet / Crab stitch around.
R1: (Change Color Red) Ch 2, Half Double crochet(HDC) across the row.
R2: (Change Color White) Ch 2, HDC on the 3rd loop of the previous stitch. Continue to the end.
R3: (Change Color Red) Ch2, HDC on the 3rd loop of the previous stitch. Continue to the end.
R4-R8: work on Moss Stitch.
After 5 rows of Moss Stitch¹, I added 3 rows of Half Double Crochet (HDC) where the stitch is worked on the 3rd Loop or hidden loop (knit style) i.e. R1-R3.
Continue the pattern 3 times and sew at the end to create the slouch effect.
[ ¹Moss Stitch: Ch 2, Half Double Crochet Stitch (HDC), Slip Stitch (SL ST). Continue HDC, SL ST alternatively until the end of the row, join at the beginning with SL ST.]
- The ribbed band size depends on the target age as the circumference is made after sewing the rectangular band.
- Also, depending on the yarn thickness and elasticity, and crochet hook the ribbed band will stretch between 1″-3″.
- Make sure the number of rows ends in an even number.
- Height of the hat: 10″
- Circumference: 20″-22″
The sizes could be altered based on the count of the stitches for the rows.
- You can increase the base diameter to give a more slouchy feel. Also, increase the height of the beanie.
- You can add pom-pom matching the colour with the edging or the base colour. There are different ways to create pom-pom.
- You can attach flowers, beads or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather etc to give cuteness to the hat.
- You can put fur edging or tassels to give a different touch.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Christy Moss Slouch Hat
- Select the yarn colour matching with your winter wear. Try out the Hat-Scarf combo, Hat-Gloves combo of the same pattern.
- Choose the contrast colours matching with your jacket.
- Choose the wool colour based on the palette in the wardrobe. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colours.
- Yarn: Oswal Red, Oswal White
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5.5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care, then the elegant stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adapt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs every time you use or share them.