After making a couple of beanies, this was my first attempt to make a mat. Though I had made the beanies, I considered myself a newbie at a learning stage. I saw the bobble design on a headband but thought of experimenting with the pattern and using it for making a placemat instead.
I had made the previous crochet beanies just following the video tutorials, it was time for the student in me, to put my learning into practice. These placements, therefore, hold special meaning. They helped me get off my comfort zone.
I tried to make a placemat as a wedding present for my friend. I felt it was something useful for the newly wedded couple, as a handmade beautiful home decor item.
Another reason, why this is so dear to me, is because it led to the formation of Tangled, now ‘Knot My Designs’.
After days of toil, I had completed this beautiful set of placements, and this gave me immense confidence and motivation to start my boutique of crochet. I first named it Tangled, since, I liked the animated Tangled movie from Disney, and my friend, Pooja encouraged me to pick this as the name of my maiden venture.
After all, Crochet is a creative intertwining of wool/yarn/threads of different colors, all tangled into each other to become an accessory or a dress or even a home decor.
But this isn’t it; there is yet another story behind choosing the combination of red and golden for the placemats. Like I always said,
“There is a sincere effort that goes behind every pattern, color combination and design because being a consumer myself I know that an accessory is not just a wearable, it is an adjective to the personality.”
The color of the Dining table was dark brown, and I needed something sassy to pair it up. Fortunately, it was the Oscar season, and I was following the usual (red carpet) trends. I liked the actress wearing a Golden dress. And that’s how I finalized on the color of the yarn; red and golden for the brown table.
So this is the story behind the red carpet inspired ‘Crochet Bobble Placemats‘. Do share your views about this.
Dimensions of the Placemat:-
- length: 15″
- breadth: 13″
- The sizes can be changed based on your requirement.
- The open design is the main attraction of the mat. But you can add edging to form in a confined space.
- The edging can be made of Single Crochet (SC), Crab Stitch, Slip Stitch, Herringbone Half Double Crochet (HHDC).
- Instead of regular yarn, fur yarn will bring out a pop to the border.
- Instead of going for a different color for the border, use both the base colors around for alternate rows.
- The border shouldn’t be too broad to pop out. The purpose should be to provide a clean edge.
Remember: do not over accessorize it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
- Choose the color matching with Kitchen interior.
- Go crazy with experimental contrast colors with your furniture to pop out a section. Make sure the interiors are mostly containing natural, neutral or earthy colors around.
- To showcase the pattern, you should always select a base color and a contrast color.
- For the stitches or pattern to be visible clearly, choose lighter shades of yarn.
- The mat should be different than the Dining table/Kitchen counter top color.
- This is Optional. The rubber liner will avoid slippage on any base – wood, quartz, ceramic, cement, granite, zodiac etc.
- The liner should not pop out. Select matching color or subtle color for your mat.
- If you are short of hot pads you can use these and save that precious table or counter top!
- Yarn: Vardhamaan Wool -Red color, Vardhamaan wool Beige color
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 4mm
- Measuring Tape
- Sewing Thread matching with the base color.
- Sewing needles
- Non-Slippery Base: Rubber Spray Paint, Shelf Liner
- Stitch Markers: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customized form, please check out the following the further options. The color combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD-Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.