Basic Black Beanie
We all have a favourite colour that complements us the most and we love to wear it. Blue is what I love. But one particular colour that never goes wrong and could be found in everyone’s wardrobe is Black. If you look around then you will notice that every 2nd or 4th person is sporting that colour as an accessory or as an apparel. Black is the saver for anyone that needs a last-minute decision on winter outfit for any occasion. I felt the same when five customers reached out to me requesting for a black beanie.
What more can I think that trying out the basic black beanie for them but with a twist? Ah, there’s nothing more interesting than extending the limits of being basic.
For me, this was a beginner’s attempt to learn and to make a basic beanie. I thought of making a unisex beanie suitable for all ages and group. I learned from Happy Berry Crochet – Simple Beanie.
Starting with 12 Double crochet (DC) with a magic circle, I continued increasing 12 counts on every row till I reach row 6 to get a total count of 72 DC based on the circumference required for an adult woman’s hat. I continued increasing the beanie’s length up to 9″ based on the customer gender and age.
R1: Start with a magic circle, CH 2 and 12 DC; join with slip stitch (SL ST) at the 1st DC. Total 12 DC.
R2: Ch 2, *2DC in every DC; repeat *-*; join with SL ST in the 1st DC. Total 24 DC.
R3: Ch 2, *2DC, DC; repeat *-*; join with SL ST in the 1st DC. Total 36 DC.
R4: Ch 2, *2DC, DC, DC; repeat *-*; join with SL ST in the 1st DC. Total 48 DC.
R5: Ch 2, *2DC, DC, DC, DC; repeat *-*; join with SL ST in the 1st DC. Total 60 DC.
R6: Ch 2, *2DC, DC, DC, DC, DC; repeat *-*; join with SL ST in the 1st DC. Total 72 DC.
[check the diameter of the base. It should be 6 – 6.5cm. if not then increase the row and the total DC count.]
R7: Ch 2, DC in every DC; join with SL ST in the 1st DC. Total 72 DC.
R8 and above: Repeat R7 to get the height of the hat 9.5″-10″.
For an adult man’s hat, I continued increasing 12 counts on every row till I reach row 6/7 to get a total count of 72/84 DC. The height of the hat is 9.5″ based on the customer gender and age.
And lastly, added a row of single crochet stitch using brown wool to give a defined edging.
- The thickness and elasticity of the yarn vary the diameter of the base.
- The crochet hook recommended vs the crochet hook used defines the design.
- for the slouchy or loose beanie, the crochet hook should be larger than the recommended.
- Concentrate on the base diameter of the beanie and increase or decrease the rows. Generally, for any adult beanie 60-84, DC is suitable.
- The total number of stitches per row is different for SC, HDC, DC etc.
- Height for an adult woman’s hat: 9″
- Circumference for an adult woman’s hat: 20″-22″
- Height for an adult man’s hat: 9.5″
- Circumference for an adult man’s hat: 22″-24″
The sizes can be altered based on the count of the stitches for the rows.
- You can increase the base diameter to give a more slouchy feel. Also, increase the height of the beanie.
- You can add pom-pom matching the colour with the edging or the base colour. Link to make a pom-pom.
- You can attach flowers, beads or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather etc to give a more feminine touch.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Basic Black Beanie
- Choose the colour matching with your winter jacket.
- Go for the contrast colour of your jacket. You might suit the colour with your cowl or gloves.
- Choose the wool colour based on the palette in your wardrobe. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colours.
- Yarn: Vardhman Wool
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Markers: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adapt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.