Darth Maul was a fearsome warrior with a devious mastermind and his double bladed lightsaber added to his ferociousness. Did you how he was created? Iain McCaig and Lucas described the drawing by Gavin Bocquet as “A kind of Rorschach pattern”.
In the final drawing, McCaig’s used his face, with the skin removed, and some Rorschach experimentation (dropping ink onto paper, folding it in half then opening). The head originally had feathers, based on prayer totems, but the Creature Effects crew led by Nick Dudman interpreted those feathers as horns, modifying his features into those common in popular “depictions of the devil” as mentioned in Wiki.
Happy Halloween Everyone!
Though there is no pattern written for Darth Maul, there are many pictures that helped me to create the beanie all by myself. The pattern is simple. The Darth Maul have 2 colors on his head. Back is black and the front is red.
The beanie can be divided into 3 parts.
- Base of the Beanie
- Creation of the Thorns
- The Final stitch.
Base of the Beanie:-
There are various ways to create the base of the beanie.
- You can follow Hazelnut Beanie pattern and start with red to create front part and use black to create the back part.
- You can use Gingham Fall Pillows color switch for every row.
- I started with black 12 HDC and a magic circle.
- while increasing by 2 at 2nd row, I used black for creating 12 HDC. Then added red to create another 12 HDC.
- Here, I continued the black yarn at the back of every next 12 HDC along with the red to avoid the hassle of cutting and joining at every end. You can cut the yarn at every row and join them when needed in next row.
- I continued the basic process of Half Double crochet beanie pattern for an adult man using a 5.5mm crochet hook.
Creation of the Thorns:-
I like the setting of the thorns from Roonie Ranching Blog. I made the 7 thorns of skin color yarn and added 2 rows of black yarn at the end.
Note: The stitches are supposed to tight so use a smaller crochet hook (4mm in my case.)
1: Starting with ch 2, make 4 SC at last loop. Working in spiral continue 4 SC for another round. Total: 4sc Turn inside out to get the right side of the stitch and continue further.
Note: It might be difficult due to tight stitch. Use stitch markers at end of each row to have a clear indication of start and end of the rows.
2: 2SC on every 2nd SC of the row. Total: 6sc. Repeat one more round.
3: 2SC on every 4th SC the row. Total: 8sc. Repeat one more round.
4: 2SC on every 4th SC the row. Total: 12sc. Repeat one more round.
5: 2SC on every 4th SC the row. Total: 16sc. Repeat one more round.
6: 2SC on every 4th SC the row. Total: 20sc. Repeat one more round.
Join Black yarn and complete one round. In the next round make 2SC in every sc. join with slip stitch and leave the tail for stitching. For 2 thorns, I added 1 more row of 9 stitches of (SC,HDC,DC,DC,DC,DC,DC,HDC,SC) to give the look.
The Final Stitch:-
This might be a bit tricky to explain. I made the design directly on the hat while stitching the thorn. But you can create the designs on 3 thorns and sew them as per the mentioned design.
Make a series of ch stitch +1 to get the desired length. Add a row of sc. Ch1 and leave a tail to sew to the beanie.
Note: You have to keep setting up the chain row on the beanie in the defined shape to get the exact length. Please keep in mind to stitch loosely as the beanie expands when you wear it. the final stitch shouldn’t impact the length and circumference of the beanie.
- Height: 9″
- Circumference: 22″-24″
The sizes can be altered based on the total count of the stitches for the rows.
- I do not think you need any embellishment for this. The Darth Maul beanie is an accessory by itself.
Remember: do not over accessorize it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Adult Star Wars Darth Maul Beanie
- Go for complete Star Wars Darth Maul look. Darth Maul Beanie with a white and orange outfit.
- White sweater or black sweater with a Darth Maul beanie.
- Use as great Star Wars Darth Maul costume for Halloween. Make other characters to complete the Star Wars family.
- Yarn: Vardhman Wool – Red, Black, Skin.
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 4.5mm, 4mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customized form, please check out the following the further options. The color combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.