2-Yarn Side-Table Basket
Summer is here and it is a great time to look back into your Stash Bag of Yarn and use the scraps, leftovers to make something worth. Something saleable and purposeful.
This time, these strings were turning into utility baskets for the bedside tables. These add-ons on the table, help you organise your makeup items or grooming kit etc.
So there you go, not one but a few of them. I tried combinations of two and converted them into a sweet little basket for everyday use. They are useful to keep mobile phones, glasses, hairband, creams, emergency medicine. Anything and everything possible.
This is a very simple process. The creative twist is to join 2 different strands of yarn to give them a different look. I started with joining 2 strands of yarn, the crochet hook recommended for the thickest yarn.
R1: Magic Circle, Ch 1, 6 single crochet (SC).
R2: ch 1, 2 sc in each sc. – 12 sc
R3: ch 1, 2 sc in 1st sc, 1 sc in next 2 sc. – 18 sc
R4: ch 1, 2 sc in 1st sc, 1 sc in next 3 sc. – 24 sc
R5: ch 1, 2 sc in 1st sc, 1 sc in next 4 sc. – 30 sc
R6: ch 1, 2 sc in 1st sc, 1 sc in next 5 sc. – 36 sc
R7: ch 1, 2 sc in 1st sc, 1 sc in next 6 sc. – 42 sc
R8: ch 1, 2 sc in 1st sc, 1 sc in next 7 sc. – 48 sc
R9: ch 1, 2 sc in 1st sc, 1 sc in next 8 sc. – 54 sc
R10: ch 1, 2 sc in 1st sc, 1 sc in next 2 sc. – 60 sc
Keep extending the base of the basket as per your need. Once you have achieved the desired base diameter, work on Backloop.
R11: turn the work, ch 1, work on each SC in Back Loop only. Total 60 sc.
R12: ch 1, sc in each sc. Total 60 sc.
Repeat R12 as per your desired height of the basket.
If you need to have handles then make an approximation of height when you want to insert handles.
Count the total stitches. In this case, it is 60sc. I have made the handle of 10 ch each.
Handle size varies from 6ch to 10 ch.
R1: ch 1, continue sc on each 10sc, ch 10, skip 10 sc , 1 sc on next 20 sc, ch 10, skip 10 sc, 1 sc on next 10 sc. join in the beginning.
R2: ch 1, continue sc on each 10sc, 10 sc in ch 10, 1 sc in next 20 sc, 10 sc in ch 10, 1 sc in next 10 sc. join in the beginning.
R3: ch 1, sc in each sc. join in the beginning. Total 60 sc.
Tip: To give a tighter stable balance, use one size less than recommended crochet hook.
- Height: 3-5″
- Diameter of the Basket: 6-8″
- The sizes can be changed based on your requirement. Choose the height and diameter of the baskets based on your drawer size or side-table dimensions.
- You can add pom-pom, tassels, charms, miniature idols, mini toys, amulets etc matching the colour with the edging or the base colour. Link to make pom-pom and tassels.
- You can attach flowers, beads, appliques or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather, fabric etc to make it more interesting.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
2-Yarn Side-Table Basket
- Choose the colour matching with your drawers of storage shelves. You can also prefer contrast colour to pop up a section.
- If in doubt, go for earthy colours or natural colours.
- Put them on the bedside drawers to keep your mobiles, spectacles, night creams, lip balms etc.
- Use them as medicine box for your daily usage.
- You can place them on the entryway table/cabinet-top to drop your daily mail, keys, cards, wallets.
- Avoid the handles and decorate the base of the flower pots inside your home.
- You can insert or glue a plastic sheet (cut to fit the base of the basket) and place them on your Desk, window sills etc.
- Avoid too many baskets in the view. 2-3 in one room fulfilling a similar purpose.
- Yarn: Stash Bag.
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5mm, recommended hook of the thickest yarn for your basket
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Markers: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adapt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs every time you use or share them.