A customer had approached me to get a contrast winter hat for herself; something to go with her black-white checkered winter coat. Her other criteria were something that looks chic, somber and professional. We are talking an accessory here. It wouldn’t be justified if it isn’t different from the usual pattern like textured.
She later requested for a pair of winter gloves to go with the hat too. This basically meant that I had to look at a hat-gloves combo that would match with her winter coat. After I decided on the color, I prepared a pair of Texting Gloves for her.
I thank to free patterns from Do the Twist Hat – Yarnspirations. I loved the pattern. It was a right tick in the check box; elegant yet stylish beanie. I followed the pattern with a few modifications to increase the height to 8-9″ from bottom to top of the hat. As per the pattern, the size is suitable for teens, while the requirement was for an adult woman.
This hat is divided into 4 sections. You need to take a bottom-top approach.
- The first part involves preparing the ribbed band for the base depending on the size of the head.
- The second part includes 10 FPDC and 10 BPDC.
- The 3rd part is the continuation with 6 FPDC, 6 BPDC each.
- And the last part is same as per the pattern provided. I did not add any pom-pom to give it a more professional look.
I call this crochet hat as a 2 Layer Twisted Hat as the pattern is repeated twice, to give a look of 2 layers. The twisted look is because of the rows of FPDC and BPDC.
- Height of the hat: 9″
- Circumference: 23″
The sizes could be alter based on the count of the stitches for the rows.
- You can increase the base diameter to give a more slouchy feel. Also, increase the height of the beanie.
- You can add pom-pom matching the color with the edging or the base color. There are different ways to create pom-pom.
- You can attach flowers, beads or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather etc to give cuteness to the hat.
- Try to use fur edging or tassels to give a different touch.
- Rather than 1 yarn color, you can have a base color and contrast color fusion to make this hat.
- I will suggest that a base color hat with one row of edging and pompom of the contrast color.
- With Pink yarn as base color; Cream, White, shades of Brown will give a different taste and maintain the same elegance.
Remember: do not over accessorize it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
2 Layer Twisted Hat
- Select the yarn color matching with you winter wear.
- Try out the Hat-Scarf combo, Hat-Gloves combo of the same pattern or different pattern but the same color mix.
- Choose the contrast colors matching with your jacket.
- Choose the wool color based on the palette in the wardrobe. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colors.
- Yarn: Jo-Ann Caron Simply Soft- Pink
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 4 mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customized form, please check out the following the further options. The color combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD-Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.