Ever confused while naming your product? I was. It took me 3-4 attempts to finally come up with the name – Tasseled Slouchy Bonnet Hat.
At first, I decided to name it as Women’s Pixie hat. Then I renamed to Women’s Pixie Slouchy Hat because of the slouchy effect. Later, it was rechristened as Women’s Pixie Bonnet Hat but then, it is neither a pixie hat nor a bonnet hat. It is a combination of the two with a slouchy effect at the base.
Unlike pixie hat with the straight split at the base, I gave it a round base with a split in the end. It resembles more closely to a Slouchy Bonnet than a Slouchy Pixie. Thus the name.
I was looking for Pixie hat patterns and I stumbled upon Ganymede Hat by Sheila Toy Stromberg. This was the exact pattern that I was visualizing in my head. A Pixie hat but without pointy end with bonnet split in the back. Her Ganymede Hat pattern helped me to understand the process. Her Facebook page is creative and welcoming to follow too.
The customer shared a specific colour and design of the pixie hat that she wanted. Thus, I followed the above pattern up to Row 17 and then created a different edging.
Since I used 6mm crochet hook, I added one more row of extension with a final count of 64 DC.
R 18: Ch 3, *Puff Stitch¹, skip the next stitch, repeat from * till the end of the row. Complete the row with DC on 3rd ch of the last row, turn.
R 19 – R 20: repeat R 18.
R 21: Finish the hat with one round Single Crochet (SC) around covering the base of the split.
[1 – Puff Stitch – Yarn over, insert the hook in the defined stitch, draw up a loop (a total of three loops on the hook), yarn over and insert the hook in the same stitch and draw up a loop (a total of 5 loops on the hook). Yarn over and draw through first 4 loops on the hook, yarn over and draw through the last 3 loops on the hook.]
Continue making ties for pixie hat and add tassels. The ties length is 5″, which I felt shorter than I anticipated. Thus I added tassels to give a more fuller look.
DIY Yarn Tassels is a great link to follow for first timers.
- The selection of the yarn is important. The thickness and elasticity of the yarn and the chosen crochet hook determines the design.
- Also, your technique impacts the smoothness or finished look. Everyone has different technique ranging from tight stitching style to medium to loose stitching styles.
- In case, you are unable to get the required chosen coloured yarn of same thickness, you can change the crochet hook and your technique as you go around, to get the seamless look. For me, I chose crochet hook larger than recommended one to give a free flowing and open stitch.
- Since the number of rows alters due to different yarn sizes and crochet hooks, it is best to total up the number of rows required to make 1″. Based on this calculation, the position of the edge can be set.
- The positioning of the edging size along with the knowledge of the gauge will reduce the rework.
- Height of the hat: 9″
- Circumference: 20″-22″
The sizes could be altered based on the count of the stitches for the rows.
- You can increase the base diameter to give a more slouchy feel. Also, increase the height of the beanie.
- You can add pom-pom matching the colour with the edging or the base colour. There are different ways to create pom-pom.
- You can attach flowers, beads or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather etc to give cuteness to the hat.
- You can put fur edging or tassels or crab stitch edging to give a different touch.
Remember: do not over accessorize it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Tasseled Slouchy Bonnet Hat
- Select the yarn colour matching with your winter wear. Try out the Hat-Scarf combo, Hat-Gloves combo of the same pattern.
- Choose the contrast colours matching with your jacket.
- Choose the wool colour based on the palette in the wardrobe. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colours.
- Yarn: Jo-Ann Big Twist Sincerely Yarn – Eggplant
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 6 mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care, then the elegant stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs every time you use or share them.