Anything new always attracts us. This attraction is applicable to the kids too. Latest gadgets, new advanced toy, access to free internet draws everyone towards them. It is impossible to find any person who will deny accessing latest items.
The use of E-books, audiobooks, podcasts, videos provides lots of information. Since the accessibility, availability, portability compels us to use more, we tend to strain ourselves more than we ever realise. Whereas, if you read a physical book, you will not strain your eyes and will feel better.
Creating colourful, creative and interesting bookmarks is an attempt to push the kids to read a paper-based book instead of using tablets or smartphones. They can flash their lovely bookmarks and it will attract another kid to have one and use for their regular courses.
These bookmarks are easy to make using leftover yarns so you can gift to everyone. A creative handmade gift from you when you gift a book to someone.
I liked the Hydrangea flower pattern from Maggie Crochet and thought to make one for gifting a book along with a flower bookmark to my colleague’s daughter. The pattern confused me at certain steps so I am trying to elaborate in my style. The process looks difficult but once the written instructions are clarified it becomes simple. The instructions include Single Crochet (SC), Double Crochet (DC) and Treble Crochet (TC) stitches along with Chain (Ch) and Slip Stitch (SL ST).
The pattern can be divided into 2 parts:
- The Hydrangea flower
- The stem and the tag
The flower is formed in 2 ways. First, the base is created and then the petals are formed.
R1: Starting with a Magic Circle, Ch 1 and 6 Single Crochet (SC); join with a Sl ST to the 1st SC. Total 6 SC.
R2: Ch 3, 2 DC in the same stitch, *Ch 3, 2 DC in next SC*; repeat *-* and join at the beginning Ch 3 with the SL ST. Total 12 DC, 6 Ch-3 Space.
R3: Ch 1, SC in the same stitch and next DC, 4 SC in ch-3 space, *SC in next 2 DC, 4 SC in Ch-3 space*; repeat *-* and join at the beginning SC with the SL ST. Total 36 SC.
R4: Ch 3, DC in next SC, Ch 3, skip next SC, DC in the next 2 SC, ch 3, * 1 DC in the next 2 SC, Ch 3, skip next SC, DC in the next 2 SC, Ch 3, skip next SC*; repeat *-* throughout and join at the beginning Ch 3 with a Sl ST. Total 24 DC, 12 Ch-3 Space.
R5: Repeat R3 around. Total 72 SC. Cut the yarn and sew the strangling yarn.
To increase the base, repeat R4 and R5. R6 will contain 36 DC, 18 Ch-3 space. R7 should be 108 SC.
Inner Petal Layer:
Attach the yarn around the base of the 1st DC of R2 from flower base with the SL ST.
R1: Attach the yarn around the base of the 1st DC of R2 from flower base with the SL ST. The 2nd round of base contains 12 DC. We will be working on these 12 DC posts to form the petals. 2 DC will be used to form one petal. We have to work on these DC posts.
R2: Lift the DC post and work on creating 1st petal on that DC post – Ch 3, 4 TR, Ch 2, Turn your work and make 2nd DC as the working DC post – 4 TR, Ch 3. SL ST at the base of the 2nd DC. One Petal is formed.
*Turn your work, choose next 2 DC, (SL ST, Ch 3, 4 TR) on 1st DC, Ch 2, turn and lift the next DC, ( 4TR, Ch 3, SL ST) on the 2nd DC*. Repeat this *-* for other 4 sets. Total 6 Inner Petals. Cut the yarn and sew the stranding yarn.
Outer Petals Layer:
R3: The 4th round of the flower base contains 24 DC. We will be working on these 24 DC posts to form the outer petal layer. 2 DC will be used to form one petal. Repeat R2 on these 24 DC posts to make 12 Petals. Cut and sew the stranding yarn. Total 12 Petals.
If you have increased the base then repeat R2 on 36 DC. You should get 18 Petals.
If the lifting of the post and working around DC sounds confusing then check out the video.
Stem and Tag:-
Locate the centre at the back of the flower and SL ST on the base of the DC. Chain 50+ to get 5″+ stem. I have chained 50 times and attached the Knot My Designs Tag at the end.
- The selection of the yarn defines the size of the flower. I have used 4-ply yarn and 4.5 mm crochet hook and the flower diameter is 5″. To increase the diameter you can either choose a bulkier yarn and bigger crochet hook.
- The petals of the flower contain 2 layers – inner layer and outer layer. To increase the flower size, you can also increase the base and add another layer of petals.
- Make sure you check each petal after completion to avoid frogging at the later stage.
- String length: 5″
- White Petals Flower: 5″
The sizes can be altered based on the count of the stitches for the rows.
- You can add pom-pom matching the colour with the edging or the base colour. There are different ways to create pom-pom.
- You can attach flowers, beads, tassel at the end of the bookmark
- You can remove the string and attach a paper clip for bookmark or Hair Clip for making a hair accessory.
Or paste it on your wrapped item to make an interesting wrapping gift style.
- You can add your tag.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegant simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
White Petals Flower Bookmark
- Nothing to style!!! Time to read more and more.
- Style your brain with all information, someone’s perspective, vision, knowledge and cherish that.
- Love Reading!!!
- Yarn: Stash Basket, scraps of yarn.
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 4.5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD Store
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adapt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs every time you use or share them.