Despite so many cultures, what cuts across is the love and passion for sports. Take India and America for example. While in India, people are crazy for cricket, in America, we have huge football fans cheering and supporting their team. One of such famous Football team is Dallas Cowboys.
Though in the past couple of years they haven’t been performing well; it wasn’t far when in 2015, this team made to the list of the most valuable sports team in the world. It was also the first sports team valued at $4 billion, according to Forbes. In 2014, Cowboys generated record revenue for a U.S. sports team. The team has also been famous for winning 105 regular season games from 1970 through 1979 with two Super Bowls trophies in their kitty.
Being a resident of Texas State, it was imperative that I would get the influence of this team with such a rich legacy. I was also getting good orders for my pixel art graphics baby blankets so, it was forthcoming that I will be getting a cowboys’ baby blanket order. It was needless to say that the creating a pixelated Cowboys design for the blanket was much strenuous task than crocheting the final design into a whole blanket.
Collect the colours that you plan to use for the blanket. Start C2C¹ crocheting and then C2C decreasing² crocheting to complete the graph. Once c2c square consumes 0.75″ – 1″ depending on the crochet hook and yarn used.
For this blanket, I have created 70X60 grids pixel graph. It should give 47″X40″ blanket or more.
This pattern requires proper counting and marking after completion of each square to avoid any mistakes.
Note: This is a big blanket at a stretch. Thus there might be a couple inches difference in every crocheter size depending on the yarn and crochet hook.
- Print the coloured graph ( or black and white graph and mark the colours) and number all the rows and columns. Here, it is 60×60. The C2C stitch grows diagonally.
- For a B/W printer, print the graph and colour the blocks using colour pencils; or mark G for green, Y for Yellow, Br for Brown, Sk for light brown or skin etc. to avoid missing out the shape.
- Mark each row and column after finishing that diagonal section to keep a track of the finished or working row.
- It is important to count the number of blocks use 1 colour in that working row. Remember we work diagonally in C2C.
- Starting with ¹C2C Crochet Stitch Increasing ( focusing on the colour change) increase diagonally for 60 rows.
- Start ²decreasing C2C Crochet Stitch (focusing on the colour change as per the graph) decrease till the count reaches 1.
Follow the series of SC or DC row, if you want to increase the size. For proper edging, use the below pattern.
R1: Ch 1, Single Crochet (SC) around each post. 3 SC at the corners.
R2: Ch 2, Double Crochet on each SC. 3 DC at the corners or at the corner 3SC – 3DC on the middle 3 SC group.
R3: Ch 2, Half-Herringbone Double Crochet (HHDC) around each DC. 3 HHDC at the corner DC or 3 HHDC in the middle of the 3 DC group.
¹C2C crochet stitch / Increasing C2C Crochet Stitch:
- [Chain 6.
- R1: Double Crochet (DC) in 4th chain from the hook. 2 DC in next 2 chains. [ 1st corner block is made]
- R2: turn the work, chain 6. DC in 4th chain from the hook. 2 DC in next 2 chains. Slip stitch on the chain 3. (Chain 3, 3 DC) in the same chain 3 space of the previous row. [2nd row contains 2 blocks]
- R3: Repeat R2 [3rd row will contain 3 blocks. Likewise, the Row-Number will have same number blocks.]
- Continue R2 to increase horizontally and vertically up to the required number on the graph.]
- [turn the last row. slip stitch on 1st DC, 2nd DC, 3 DC.
- Slip Stitch(SL ST) chain 3 space. (Chain 3, 3 DC) in same chain 3 space.
- Continue (SL ST, chain 3, 3 DC) in next chain 3 space.
- Repeat till the last 2nd block. SL ST in the last chain 3 space. ]
BLUE STAR COWBOYS PIXEL ART
BLUE STAR COWBOYS PIXEL GRID-GRAPHS
The complete graph size is big. If you want the graph in easily printable format then please fill out the query form and it will be delivered.
- Grid-Graph: 70X60.
- Length: 47″
- Width: 40″
Different ideas that can be implemented into this blanket to make it your own.
- The edging can be made of Single Crochet (SC), Crab Stitch, Slip Stitch, Herringbone Half Double Crochet (HHDC).
- The fur yarn will bring out a pop to the border in place of regular yarns.
- For the border, substitute the 3rd colour with the base colours working in alternate rows.
- The border shouldn’t be too broad to stand out. It should be to give a clean finish.
- You can add pom-pom or tassels (matching the colour with the edging or the base colour) at the 4 corners. Link to make pom-pom and tassels.
- Avoid the border and just add tassels/pompoms made of a mixture of the base colours.
- You can attach flowers, beads, appliques or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather, fabric etc to make it more interesting.
- You can increase the total size of the blanket by adding few rows of borders.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegant simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Blue Star Cowboys Baby Blanket
- Choose the yarn colour matching with your kids’ room or their choice of animals.
- Go crazy with experimental contrast colours with your furniture to pop out a section. Make sure the interiors contain natural, neutral or earthy colours around.
- The selection of colour palette should be bright but not flashy.
- For the stitches or pattern to be visible clearly, choose lighter shades of yarn.
- The graphic-animals can be used for blankets or bags for kids.
- Instead of going for 3rd colour for the border, use both the base colours around for alternate rows.
- The border shouldn’t be too broad to stand out. The purpose should be to provide a clean edge.
- JoAnn Caron Simply Soft – White – 2 balls
- JoAnn Caron Simply Soft – Dark Country Blue – 3 balls
- JoAnn Caron Simply Soft Tweed – Grey Heather – 6 balls.
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 6mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care, then the elegant stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adapt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs every time you use or share them.