Increasing office space, ordering more raw materials etc. indicates growing business. Similarly, the need of another stash basket hinted at the growth of my work as I started collecting more and more yarn.
I already have a big Laundry basket full of wool. But it wasn’t enough to manage the stoke pile that was ending up lying around everywhere in the house. I do not own a separate crafts room in my current house, so I had to push myself to hold the current project to first make space and create another Stash Basket for myself.
I already have created a Stash Basket of Yarn. But I was not planning to create the same pattern again. I would take the blame that I do not like to replicate my work, rather add variety, unless ordered, to make the same thing. This always becomes helpful too!
Here, comes another pattern in the list of baskets for yarn. Every product is different and unique, so when you think storage and style and comfort, think about Oblong Shell Stash Basket from Knot My Designs.
I collected all left over yarns having the same crochet hook recommendation and then started working on constructing a new design. The procedure contains 2 parts: Base and Body
At the base, I used all the leftover yarns to create a circular mat of 120sc (i.e. Single crochet stitch). Starting from 6sc and increasing 6 sc in every round up to 120sc. The picture shows various yarns I have used and completed.
Tip: Join all the left over yarns to create a big ball using “Russian Join” method. This is the flawless and easy way to provide a seamless continuation of the yarn.
There has been a lot of attempts in getting this final look.
Attempt 1: Continuing with Single crochet. This was giving me closed basket look which I wasn’t looking for at all.
Attempt 2: Following the same approach of the previous Stash Basket, I started with Double Crochet (DC). Instead of one SC and 5 ch, I worked on 3 DC and 5 Ch for one row. Then SC around next row and DC in the next and SC again in the next row. This completely distracted the synchronous flow from SC Base to DC Body.
Attempt 3: Continued SC up to 5 rows and then start using DC stitch. This was way too awkward and indescribable to me.
Attempt 4: I started browsing crochet stitches pattern from The Complete Book of Crochet Stitch Designs. I decided to make Page139 – Shells- overall Patterns. SUCCESS!!! There is slight modification as this is going in circles with no turn at the end of each row.
Shell Overall Pattern:
R1: DC, *ch5, skip next 5ch, dc in each of next 3 sc; repeat from * ending with DC. SS to join.
R2: Ch 3 (count as DC), *9 DC in each ch-5 space, skip 3 DC; repeat from * ending with DC. SS join.
R3: Ch 5, Skip 4DC, DC in each next 3 DC, *ch 5, skip next 6 DC, DC in each of next 3 DC; repeat from * ending with 4 sts, ch 2, skip next 3 DC, DC in the 3rd ch of the previous round.
R4: Ch 3 (counts as DC), 4 DC in next ch-2 space, *9 DC in each ch-5 space, skip 3 DC; repeat from * ending with 4 DC in ch-2 space, DC in the 3rd ch of the previous round.
Repeat R3-R4 till you get the desired height of the basket. I have used 3 different yarns and changed them after 6 rows.
- The selection of the yarn is important. The thickness and elasticity of the yarn and the chosen crochet hook determines the design.
- Also, your technique impacts the smoothness or finished look. Everyone has different technique ranging from tight stitching style to medium to loose stitching styles.
- In case, you are unable to get the required chosen coloured yarn of same thickness, you can change the crochet hook and your technique as you go around, to get the seamless look. For me, I chose crochet hook larger than recommended one to give a smooth and open stitch.
- Height: 14″
- Diameter: 12″.
- The sizes can be changed based on your requirement. This bag expands further 4-5″ for wool to insert properly.
- You can insert a liner inside the basket if you are keeping small items, to avoid falling off.
- You can add pom-pom, tassels, charms, miniature idols, mini toys, amulets etc matching the colour with the edging or the base colour. Link to make pom-pom and tassels.
- You can attach flowers, beads, appliques or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather, fabric etc to make it more interesting.
Remember: do not over accessorize it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Oblong Shell Stash Basket
- Choose the colour matching with your Home Decor. You can also prefer contrast colour to pop up a section.
- If in doubt, go for earthy colours or natural colours.
- The basket can be used to stash away toys, throws, wool, any clutter around your house.
- If you insert and stitch a liner inside the basket, then you can add a drawstring to make it as go to bag for the beach too.
- Yarn: scraps of leftover yarn.
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5.5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Markers: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care, then the elegant stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs every time you use or share them.