Skipped Loop Adult Beanie
With so many patterns floating around over the Internet, it becomes really challenging to create something different. To grab that attention from the other co-crocheters, your pattern should be catchy. Knowing this, I can develop a complicated design pattern – if I really dig deep, yet I am always inclined to create easy formations from the existing stitches.
Complex and intricate work definitely attracts buyers but if I want to bring more creators in the world of crafts and hobbies then I need to focus on easy methods and styles. To this end, I am coming up with series of easy patterns in the coming months.
Here, I am presenting one of these easy designs, which I felt will bring out the WOW factor of the ombre or multi-colour yarn. I hope it looks as attractive to you as it looks to me.
The procedure involves Double Crochet(DC) stitches. But instead of using regular DC, we will be focusing on Back Loop Double Crochet (BLODC) and Double Crochet(DC) alternatively. Since we are skipping Front Loop of DC, it is named as Skipped Loop.
R1: Starting with a magic circle, Ch 2, 10 DC; join with Slip Stitch (SL ST) in the 1st DC. Total 10 DC.
R2: Ch 2, 2DC in each DC; join with SL ST in the 1st DC. Total 20 DC.
R3: Ch 2, BLODC, 2DC; repeat – in each DC; join with SL ST in the 1st DC. Total 30 DC.
R4: Ch 2, BLODC, 2DC, BLODC, DC, BLODC, 2DC; repeat – to the end; join with SL ST in the 1st DC. Total 40 DC.
R5: Ch 2, BLODC, 2DC, BLODC, DC; repeat – to the end; join with SL ST in the 1st DC. Total 50 DC.
R6: Ch 2, BLODC, DC, BLODC, 2DC, BLODC, DC, BLODC, 2DC, BLODC, DC; repeat – to the end; join with SL ST in the 1st DC. Total 60 DC.
Note: You can stop here for a child size beanie and repeat R8 to get the desired length.
R7: Ch 2, BLODC, 2DC, BLODC, DC, BLODC, DC; repeat – to the end; join with SL ST in the 1st DC. Total 70 DC.
R8: Ch 2, * BLODC, DC*; repeat – to the end; join with SL ST in the 1st DC. Total 70 DC.
Repeat R8 till you get the desired length.
Here, I continued for 8 rows to get the 8.5″ height of the hat.
In the end, I added an edge using Reverse Single Crochet stitch to create a little tighter stitch to set perfectly.
- Make sure every consecutive/alternative stitch is opposite of the previous one.
- Every row starts with BLODC and DC.
- To increase the circumference you can add another row or you can increase the initial count from 10DC to 12 DC.
- Similarly, to decrease the circumference you can stop at the previous row or you can decrease the initial count from 10DC to 8 DC.
- Since the circumference of the front head is smaller than the crown, the last row is made using a tight stitch or one size smaller crochet hook. This will give a close snug at the brim of the beanie for a proper fit.
- Circumference: 20″
- Height: 8.5″
- You can increase the base diameter to give a more slouchy feel. Also, increase the height of the beanie.
- You can add pom-pom matching the colour with the edging or the base colour. There are different ways to create pom-pom.
- You can attach flowers, beads or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather etc to give cuteness to the hat.
- You can put fur edging or tassels to give a different touch.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Skipped Loop Adult Beanie
- Select the yarn colour matching with your winter wear. Try out the Hat-Scarf combo, Hat-Gloves combo of the same pattern.
- Choose the contrast colours matching with your jacket.
- Choose the wool colour based on the palette in the wardrobe. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colours.
- Yarn: Lion Brand Landscapes – Boardwalk – 1 ball
- Crochet Hook: 6 mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Markers: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags.
Quality Promise: If washed with care, then the elegant stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adapt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs every time you use or share them.
The website contains affiliate links and ads for Amazon.com as the author is a participant of Amazon Service LLC Associates Program.