Waffle Look Beanie
Christmas/New Year was nearing and it was time to start buying or getting gifts for friends and families. What will be great than a handmade gift? This led to the decision of making winter wears for the kids in a family, instead of gifting a purchased product. The kids are between 4-10 years. I was browsing for beanie/hat pictures that would fall into this range, in other words, suit a toddler as well as a teen.
While searching for a pattern, I stumbled upon this SmoothFoxLover- Kool Kids Hat. I decided to opt for a unisex colour combination so that it would suit any gender.
The pattern is a combination of Front Post Double Crochet (FPDC) and Double Crochet (DC). I started making the hat with blue colour as the body and used brown as edging. I continued the same pattern with brown to give an edging by using a different colour. By mistaken, I increased the counts to which appropriately fit an adult person.
After completing the pattern for an adult hat, I started making another hat for child to teen. Since it is supposed to vary between a child to teen, I reduced the count to 66 stitches. The colour combination that I pictured in my mind, I weaved it into reality. I always plan for a different colour combination. I do not prefer repeating exactly the same combination as it will not please my eye.
So I had the challenge of looking for a different combination that will look young, comfy and unisex too. I opted for 2 shades of blue and brown. I added pom-pom in one hat to give it a bit different look altogether. Also, I increased the edging to cover the complete forehead section. Following the same pattern, I used a lighter shade for the body and darker shade for the edging.
The design resembles waffle so I have named it Waffle Look Beanie.
- Height: 9″
- Circumference: 20″-22″
- Height: 8″
- Circumference: 18″-20″
- Height: 8.5″
- Circumference: 20″-22″
- You can increase the base diameter to give a more slouchy feel. Also, increase the height of the beanie.
- You can add pom-pom matching the colour with the edging or the base colour. There are different ways to create pompom.
- You can attach flowers, beads or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather etc to give a more feminine touch.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or had any queries, please contact me.
Waffle Look Beanie
- Choose the colour matching with your winter jacket.
- Go for the contrast colour of your jacket. You might suit the colour with your cowl or gloves.
- Choose the wool colour based on the palette in your wardrobe. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colours.
- Yarn: Jo-Ann Bernat – Baby Blue, Jo-Ann Red Heart – Tan, Jo-Ann Lion Brand Cocoa, Jo-Ann Red Heart – Royal Blue
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you go ahead with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5.5 mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adapt, for personal consumption; however, please give due credit to Knot My Designs every time you use or share them.