My love and attraction towards panda grew after the release of Kung-Fu Panda. The journey of a slacker panda Po to become a Kung-Fu skilled Dragon Warrior and fight against the treacherous snow leopard Tai Lung to save China. How he learns under the leadership of their guru, Master Shifu, and support of the legendary Furious Five — Tigress, Crane, Mantis, Viper, and Monkey.
So when the customer asked me to make a cute hat for his nephew, Panda or I should say Kung-Fu Panda became my top choice. I loved the idea of making a panda hat for a toddler.
I was planning to make a white bear earflap beanie but I ended up making a panda. The hat contains 2 parts: base of the hat and parts to make a panda i.e. ears, eyes, nose, and mouth.
Base of the Hat:-
The base could be series of Double Crochet Stitch (DC) to create a basic beanie or series of Half Double Crochet (HDC). I opted for HDC as they provide more thickness since my yarn was fine quality.
After creating a basic beanie its time to create face parts of the panda.
Parts of the Panda Face:-
I followed the pattern from Sarah’s – Repeat Crafter Me Blog for getting the initial shape information.
Sarah has used HDC starting from 8 HDC to 24 HDC. But I tried to give a 5/8 pie look.
Instead of going round and round for all rows, in the 3rd row, I skipped the last 2 HDC stitches. Turned and created one more row of HDC with an increment of 8 evenly. I made 2 of these. Since I used a smaller hook for the ears I didn’t make 4 and join to provide sturdiness.
I followed the same steps as defined in the pattern but instead of 7 chains, I went for 9 ch to give bigger eyes.
I followed the same steps as defined in the pattern.
I sewed black yarn differently to as other panda images.
- Height: 8.5″
- Circumference: 16″-18″
The sizes can be alter based on the count of the stitches for the rows.
- You can add pom-pom matching the color with the edging or the base color. Link to make the pompom.
- You can attach flowers, beads or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather etc to give a more feminine touch.
But I do not think any other additionals are required more. You can give white button eyes on the eye patches to give open eyes panda.
Remember: do not over accessorize it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Toddler’s Panda Hat
- Go for complete panda look. Panda hat and white and black outfit.
- White sweater or black sweater with panda hat.
- Yarn: Vardhama Wool – Black, White
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Markers: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customized form, please check out the following the further options. The color combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD-Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.