How R2D2, Astromech Droid got its name? There are a lot of stories online suggesting that a formula was converted into r2d2. The nearest approved story is about George Lucas and a co-worker, who were editing American Graffiti when the co-worker asked Lucas for “Reel Two, Dialog Two”, which is abbreviated “R2D2”. Lucas supposedly wrote down the abbreviation and used it when he was working on the script of Star Wars. Whatever may be the real reason, it definitely holds an important role in the Star Wars Trilogy, Prequel, and Sequel trilogies.
I decided to use the design from Star Wars R2D2 in Toddler beanie for elder brother and BB8 for the younger one for Halloween The similarity and the shape of these Droids attracted me more than another character for a younger child. This toddler beanie inspired from R2D2 Astromech Droid from Star Wars series from Knot My Designs is a great fit for a toddler, who would love the show-off.
The pattern is simple. There are a lot of links which provides Star Wars characters instructions. This youtube video from HanDIY is nearest to the pattern I was looking for. HanDIY tutorials will provide pdf version later. There are other videos too. She has provided different ways of changing yarn options too. You can follow your own dedicated method or try out the new ways.
- Height: 8″
- Circumference: 16″-18″
The sizes can be altered based on the total count of the stitches for the rows.
- You can add pom-pom matching the color with the edging or the base color. There are different ways to create pompom.
- You can attach flowers, beads or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather etc to give a more feminine touch.
But I do not think we need to go for any other additionals anymore. The R2D2 head beanie is full of appliques to carry it as it is.
Remember: do not over accessorize it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Toddler Star Wars R2D2 Beanie
- Go for complete Star Wars R2D2 look. R2D2 Beanie with a white and orange outfit.
- White sweater or black sweater with an R2D2 beanie.
- Use as great Star Wars R2D2 costume for Halloween. Make other characters to complete the Star Wars family.
- Yarn: Vardhaman – White, Vardhaman – Black, Vardhaman – Red, Jo-Ann Big Twist – Royal Blue, Jo-Ann Big Twist – Medium Gray
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Sewing thread matching with the appliques.
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customized form, please check out the following the further options. The color combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD-Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.