Triangles, squares, circles, and rectangles. There’s always an inclination towards the geometric shapes. The symmetry creates a structured look and feel, which always attracts in designing any material; whereas non-geometric shapes could be challenging if we do not put complete attention.
“Geometrics are at the heart of good design, whether incorporated with the main décor furnishings or as a contrasting design motif to highlight traditional pieces,” said Steve Lowsky, president of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.-based Pride Family Brands that specializes in casual outdoor furnishings.
“Although there is beauty in intricate nongeometric design elements, there is simplicity in the use of geometrics that is currently providing a calming motif in challenging times. The simplicity of geometrics in a home and outdoor products has multiuse applications,” he added.
Since the customer interiors’ are contemporary, I preferred creating a 7 sided polygon for the rug. We have seen hexagonal, octagonal and circular floor mats but septagon shape has been rarely experimented with. I have used 2 strands of same yarn and created this mat.
R1: Start with a magic circle and 7 Single Crochet (SC).
R2 – R50: increase 7 SC in each row.
For more clarification, you can check out the 2-Yarn Basket process. The base formation is same. Instead of 6 SC, we are using 7 SC.
Remember to add a layer of Non-Slipper Rubber Grip as spray paint or shelf liner to create resistance when stepping on the mat.
- Diameter: 40″
- The sizes can be changed based on your requirement.
- Instead of an ombre yarn, you can use 2 strands of different colours.
- The open design is the main attraction of the mat. But you can add edging to form in a confined space.
- The edging can be made of Single Crochet (SC), Crab Stitch, Slip Stitch, Herringbone Half Double Crochet (HHDC).
- Instead of regular yarn, fur yarn will bring out a pop to the border.
- Instead of going for a different colour for the border, use both the base colours around.
- The border shouldn’t be too broad to pop out. The purpose should be to provide a clean edge.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
- Place it on the doorstep OR on the entryway Or in the Kids bedroom.
- Choose the colour matching with your interiors walls.
- Go crazy with experimental contrast colours with your furniture to pop out a section. Make sure the interiors are mostly containing natural, neutral or earthy colours around.
- For the stitches or pattern to be visible clearly, choose lighter shades of yarn.
- The mat should be different than the floor colour.
- The rubber liner will avoid slippage on any floor – hardwood, carpet, tiles, vinyl, cement etc.
- The liner should not pop out. Select matching colour or subtle colour for your mat.
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter – Desert Sand
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 6mm
- Measuring Tape
- Sewing Thread matching with the base colour.
- Sewing needles
- Non-Slippery Base: Rubber Spray Paint, Shelf Liner
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs every time you use or share them.