“It is a hot day and you have guests at your home. Someone left the glass of cold drink on the coffee table. The little beads of concentration are inching their way closer and closer to the surface of the wood. You are appalled but you cannot say anything to your guest. All you think about is your table and how can you protect it.”
Well, Well, there is a solution. Coasters!! These small sections do wonders. They save your table and could be a home decor item when designed.
A customer asked for a bright and colorful set of coasters that could be used in any room, at any time and suit the interiors of the house. This gave me the idea of using the rainbow color combination with white. One white cotton wool strand and another one color (blue/red/yellow/green) from the rainbow.
I liked the Beatrice Ryan Designs- Thick Quick Bumpy Scrubby design pattern.The pattern includes Single Crochet (SC) and Treble Crochet (TC).
R1: Chain 17 (chain to get 5″), Single Crochet from the 2nd chain. turn.
R2: Ch 1, SC, *TC, SC*; repeat *-* ending with SC. turn.
R3: SC around. turn
Continue R2-R3 till you get 5″ height. The last row should be R3.
SC in SC, in the corner 3 SC.
It was exactly how I was visualizing. Though the pattern is for kitchen dish scrubber or body scrubber, I increased the counts by two and made a coaster.
Yes, the bump might bother, assuming it might create a balance problem. But it depends on the cups/glasses that you are using. When dining, it also serves as a hot pad for small serving bowls.
Dimensions of the Coaster:-
- Size of the Square Coaster: 5″
- The sizes can be changed based on your requirement.
- You can make different edging.
- The edging can be made of Single Crochet (SC), Crab Stitch, Slip Stitch, Herringbone Half Double Crochet (HHDC).
- Instead of regular yarn, fur yarn will bring out a pop to the border.
- Instead of going for a different color for the border, use both the base colors around for alternate rows.
- The border shouldn’t be too broad to pop out. The purpose should be to provide a clean edge.
Remember: do not over accessorize it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
- Choose the color matching with Kitchen interior.
- Go crazy with experimental contrast colors with your furniture to pop out a section. Make sure the interiors are mostly containing natural, neutral or earthy colors around.
- To showcase the pattern, you should always select a base color and a contrast color.
- For the stitches or pattern to be visible clearly, choose lighter shades of yarn.
- The mat should be different than the Dining table/Kitchen counter top color.
- This is Optional. The rubber liner will avoid slippage on any base – wood, quartz, ceramic, cement, granite, zodiac etc.
- The liner should not pop out. Select matching color or subtle color for your mat.
- If you are short of hot pads you can use these and save that precious table or counter top!
- Yarn: Michaels – Lily N Sugar – Mod Green, Michaels – Lily N Sugar – Red, Michaels – Lily N Sugar – Yellow, Michaels – Lily N Sugar – Hot Blue, Michaels – Premier Yarn – White
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Sewing Thread matching with the base color.
- Sewing needles
- Non-Slippery Base: Rubber Spray Paint, Shelf Liner
- Stitch Markers: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customized form, please check out the following the further options. The color combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD-Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.