I had a lot of brown wool lying in my stash bag. My main motive was to clear of the bag so that I can buy more and more yarn. But the challenge was to proceed with an attractive item creation by utilizing all the brown wool.I did require a beanie or a hat for myself, but what do I do with so much brown yarn? I was just thinking about it while looking out of the window.
Lost in thoughts of my work, I realized I need a beanie or a hat for myself, but what do I do with so much of the brown yarn, currently consuming the space?
The fall season has started and I realized that the season is all about shades of Orange, Brown, and Yellow! Something like below that you see; and that inspired me to make a hat with brown and orange yarn colors.
I thank meladoras creations for helping me with the Moss stitch pattern. Candy, the creator of Meladoras Creation has provided a lot of blogs with different patterns for free!!
This hat takes a bottom to top approach. Pompom is added separately using pom-pom maker. I started using them since they gifted to me. You can also follow various other methods, where you can make a pom-pom using this online link.
The hat contains 2 parts: a Ribbed edge and a Moss stitch body.
- I started with 1 strand of orange and brown yarn each for the ribbed pattern. Alternate Front Post Double Crochet stitch and Double Crochet stitches are there to make the ribbed edge.
- For the body, I joined 2 strands of the orange yarn and used the Moss Stitch to complete the hat.
With a bit of twist and turn involved while making this hat, I created a different variety in Moss Stitch. I name this crochet free pattern ribbed hat as Ribbed Moss Hat. This is a professional and stylish winter wear collection for any adult woman.
- Height of the hat: 8″
- Circumference: 23″
The sizes could be alter based on the count of the stitches for the rows.
- You can increase the base diameter to give a more slouchy feel. Also, increase the height of the beanie.
- You can add pom-pom matching the color with the edging or the base color. There are different ways to create pom-pom.
- You can attach flowers, beads or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather etc to give cuteness to the hat.
- You can put fur edging or tassels to give a different touch.
Remember: do not over accessorize it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Ribbed Moss Hat
- Select the yarn color matching with you winter wear.
- Try out the Hat-Scarf combo, Hat-Gloves combo of the same pattern or different pattern but the same color mix.
- Choose the contrast colors matching with your jacket.
- Choose the wool color based on the palette in the wardrobe. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colors.
- Yarn: Jo-Ann Red Heart – Tangerine, Jo-Ann Lion Brand -Brown
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 6.5 mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customized form, please check out the following the further options. The color combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD-Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.