Kitchen plays a vital role in every home, on a day to day activity. You may skip sitting in a dining hall or living room, but you’ll never skip stepping into the kitchen. The best part for crocheters is that we can make ample objects out of wool/yarn. This serves 2 purposes; it gives a useful item and a kitchen decor.
When talking of Kitchen items, you come across hot pads. I could never understand the necessity of having a hot pad in your kitchen. Since I wasn’t into baking I never realized that when you use an oven; oven mittens and hot pad are the essential items.
When I was visiting a family, I noticed that they used cork hot pads on the dining table while serving the food. This strikes me that I need to make few hot pads for my home too.
I found a pattern on Free Craft Project – Flower Hotpad. This was my first attempt to make a flower /petal design with crochet. I used beige color as the base of flower and ombre red-orange as the main flower petal. I chose the color that would add to the look whether on a dining table, kitchen countertop or kitchen island.
Dimensions of the HotPad:-
- Size of the HotPad from one petal tip to other: 9″
- Size a petal: 3″-3.25″
- The sizes can be changed based on your requirement.
- The open design is the main attraction of the mat. But you can add edging to form in a confined space.
- The edging can be made of Single Crochet (SC), Crab Stitch, Slip Stitch, Herringbone Half Double Crochet (HHDC).
- Instead of regular yarn, fur yarn will bring out a pop to the border.
- Instead of going for a different color for the border, use both the base colors around for alternate rows.
- The border shouldn’t be too broad to pop out. The purpose should be to provide a clean edge.
Remember: do not over accessorize it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Reddie Flower Hotpads
- Choose the color matching with Kitchen interior.
- Go crazy with experimental contrast colors with your furniture to pop out a section. Make sure the interiors are mostly containing natural, neutral or earthy colors around.
- To showcase the pattern, you should always select a base color and a contrast color.
- For the stitches or pattern to be visible clearly, choose lighter shades of yarn.
- The mat should be different than the Dining table/Kitchen counter top color.
- This is Optional. The rubber liner will avoid slippage on any base – wood, quartz, ceramic, cement, granite, zodiac etc.
- The liner should not pop out. Select matching color or subtle color for your mat.
- Yarn: Michaels Craft Smart – Sangria
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet hook: 5.5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Sewing Thread matching with the base color.
- Sewing needles
- Non-Slippery Base: Rubber Spray Paint, Shelf Liner
- Stitch Markers: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customized form, please check out the following the further options. The color combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD-Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.