Popcorn Stitch Flower Bookmark
Like any other kid, my childhood was spent behind Hardy Boys, the Famous Five, the Secret Seven and the Agatha Criste series. I was a voracious reader and would spend most of the time reading them. These books had adventure, mystery, a lesson to be taught and a message meant to be shared.
Thankfully, the kids of the 90s had either books or outdoor games, and none of the computer games and mobile phones games that we see everywhere today. Though there are still many children’s book series such as the Harry Potter, Eragon and the adventures of Narnia, there are lesser takers of these books.
And this is not only for the children. Reading should never stop with age. However, as we grow, we get so busy in our daily chores that we get even lesser time to pick that book from the shelf and flip through the pages. All the incredible collection of the books end up gathering the dust on the bookshelves.
In order to break this habit and get into reading again, I made my first bookmark years ago, and I have been making more of these since. This time not only for me but for my friends and family members. A lovely bookmark is yet another incentive to open the book and read. It certainly worked for me.
Here, I searched for a flower pattern especially, to gift to my colleague’s daughter. A creative bookmark for her; a gift and a habit that she can confidently flaunt.
The pattern contains 2 steps:
- to create the popcorn stitch flower
- to form the string and tassel.
Popcorn Stitch Flower:-
R1: Starting with the Magic Circle, Chain 1 (CH), 8 Single Crochet (SC); Join with Slip Stitch (SL ST) on 1st SC.
R2: Ch 2, *create a Popcorn¹ in SC, Ch 1*; repeat *-*, join with SL ST on Ch 2.
R3: Ch 2, *create 2 Popcorns¹ in ch 1 space, Ch 1*; repeat *-*, join with SL ST on Ch 2.
¹Popcorn Stitch: [5 DC in the same stitch. Drop the loop from the hook but do not pull.Inserting the hook from front to back, pick top loops of 1st DC and the dropped loop, slip stitch to form the popcorn. ]
If you are unable to get the written pattern, click here for the video.
Tassel and String:-
Choose the yarn that you want to form the string and tassel. I picked up green left over yarn to form the stem and the tassel. I used this link to make the tassel and crocheted chain 50+ to form the stem. Sew them together to form the Flower Bookmark.
While forming the stem, I added my tag in between in the chains.
- String length: 9″
- Flower Diameter: 3″
The sizes can be altered based on the count of the stitches for the rows.
- You can add pom-pom matching the colour with the edging or the base colour. There are different ways to create pom-pom.
- You can attach flowers, beads, tassel at the end of the bookmark
- You can add your tag.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Popcorn Stitch Flower Bookmark
- Nothing to style!!! Time to read more and more.
- Style your brain with all information, someone’s perspective, vision, knowledge and cherish that.
- Love Reading!!!
- Yarn: Stash Basket, scraps of yarn.
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Store
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adapt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs every time you use or share them.