We have classics in every field and the classic in the world of crochet is GRANNY SQUARE pattern.
Anyone who understands crochet definitely knows about granny squares. It is the iconic motif which is popular since 1970. In fact, the proverb “Old is Gold” holds appropriately for this pattern. Every crocheter must have made at least one granny square in their career. There are at least 100+ styles to make a granny square. To make any patchwork related product, granny square is always the 1st choice.
In my initial trial days of understanding crochet, I learned about granny square. Later, when a customer asked for a floor mat, I couldn’t resist making one for the house.
There are various geometric shapes achieved from this pattern. The basic square pattern is used in the floor mat. I have chosen 4 yarn colours to form granny square motifs. Later, I picked a yarn colour that contrasted well with all the motifs. This contrast colour was used to join these motifs.
There are 2 parts to this pattern-
- Granny Square Motif
- Joining Granny Squares (as you move along.)
Granny Square Motif Tutorial:-
I followed Bella Coco – Simple Granny Square for making granny squares.
Joining Granny Square Tutorial:-
Bella Coco – Join Granny Squares for joining these granny squares.
Remember: To avoid slipping and sliding, non-slippery rubber spray or non-Adhesive Shelf Liner.
Dimensions of the Mat:-
- Sides of the square: 20″
- Each Granny Square Size: 4″
- The sizes can be changed based on your requirement.
- There are different ways to join the motifs. Refer the link to get a catalogue of your choice – 7 Ways to Join Granny Squares
- The edging can be made of Single Crochet (SC), Crab Stitch, Slip Stitch, Herringbone Half Double Crochet (HHDC).
- Instead of regular yarn, fur yarn will bring out a pop to the border.
- Instead of going for a different colour for the border, use both the base colours around for alternate rows.
- The border shouldn’t be too broad to pop out. The purpose should be to provide a clean edge.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Patched Granny Floormat
- Place it on the doorstep OR on the entryway Or in the Kids bedroom.
- Choose the colour matching with your interiors walls.
- Go crazy with experimental contrast colours with your furniture to pop out a section. Make sure the interiors are mostly containing natural, neutral or earthy colours around.
- You can represent as a mosaic of different colours, OR have a base colour motif and contrast colour joining.
- For the stitches or pattern to be visible clearly, choose lighter shades of yarn.
- The mat should be different than the floor colour.
- The rubber liner will avoid slippage on any floor – hardwood, carpet, tiles, vinyl, cement etc.
- The liner should not pop out. Select matching colour or subtle colour for your mat.
- Yarn: Jo-Ann Caron One Pound – Expresso, Jo-Ann Caron One Pound – Rose, Jo-Ann Caron One Pound – Claret, Jo-Ann Caron One Pound – Azure, Jo-Ann Caron One Pound – Cream
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5.5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Sewing Thread matching with the base colour.
- Sewing needles
- Non-Slippery Base: Rubber Spray Paint, Shelf Liner
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.