Olive Shell Rectangular Shawl
Shawl or Wrap plays an important role in woman’s wardrobe as an all-rounder accessory. There are various different styles to carry a shawl; as a prayer shawl, a party shoulder robe for dresses, a winter cowl or scarf, or as a stole to go along with Indian kurta.
This multi-purpose accessory is a wonder and a gift to every woman. I wanted to make a shawl that not only brings warmth but also adds contrast to a gorgeous sequin dress. I chose to make a shawl using Olive colour yarn. Traditionally, this colour olive green represents the peace and brings comfort to eyes.
Easy to wear and carry around, the thickness of the wool promises ample warmth. You can either wear as a day-lunch or an evening outhouse party.
I like the corner to corner (C2C) style Shell pattern by Hillary on her blog. I did some calculations and modifications to make a rectangular shawl. The process contains series of double crochet stitch (DC), Single Crochet (SC) and Chain (ch).
R1: chain 68+3. Multiples of 4+3.
The chain was 19″ long.
R2: Starting with 3 DC in the 4th hook on the chain, *skip 3 ch, SC in next ch, ch 3, 3 DC in same Ch*; repeat from *-* till the end of the chain with SC in the last Ch; Ch 3, turn.
R3: 3 DC in 1st SC, *SC, Ch 3, 3 DC in the Ch 3 space of the previous row*; repeat from *-* till the end of the chain with SC in the last Ch; Ch 3, turn.
Repeat R3 until the desired shawl length.
Last Row (LR): 2 DC in 1st SC, * SC in next Ch 3 space, Ch 3*; repeat from *-* till the end of the chain with SC in the last Ch. Slip Stitch and sew.
Remember: to give any lacey effect the crochet hook should be more than 2-3mm bigger than the recommended hook.
Since the yarn was bulky and stretchy, I used 5.5mm, a smaller hook, than recommended.
- Depending on the texture of the yarn, you can either choose a larger crochet hook other than recommended one.
- For edging the last row, you can change the crochet hook to a smaller size to give a tighter set.
- Check the initial 3-4 rows to get the desired width. The number of chains and the stitching style will change the width.
- Every person works loose or medium or tight stitch. Thus, the width and length of the scarf changes. I focused on medium stitch to give the smooth flow.
- I used a small crochet hook than recommended as the wool has elasticity.
- Length: 65″
- Width: 18″.
- Add a line of tassels to the ends of both sides along the width. 4 Tassels at the corners will also work. You can reduce the size of the scarf as tassels will add another 10″.
- Attach pom-poms to each of the corners.
- The tassels or pompoms colour should be of the base colour or any contrast colour. Shades of white, golden, silver, brown, creme, blue, olive will add the beauty.
- Pom-poms and tassels can be of wool, faux fur, ribbons, plastic, resin etc. Link to make pom-pom and tassels.
- The long length edging, you can have a Crab Stitch, Single Crochet, Slip Stitch.
- Decrease the width and convert this wrap/stole/shawl into a beautiful lacy scarf.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This takes away the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegant simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Olive Shell Rectangular Shawl
- Select the yarn colour matching with your winter wear. Try out the Hat-Scarf/wrap combo, Scarf-Gloves combo, Hat-Scarf-Gloves trio.
- Choose the contrast colours matching with your jacket.
- Style with your maxis or mini. The wrap is so modish that it will also be an accessory to your outfit.
- Choose the wool colour based on the palette in the wardrobe. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colours.
- Yarn: Jo-Ann – Lionbrand Heartland – Joshua Tree – 5 balls
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5.5 mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care, then the elegant stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD Store
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adapt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs every time you use or share them.