I was planning for a bag to avoid the bundle of plastics or paper bags while I shop. The need led me to crochet a bag. The name itself indicates that it is designed for multipurpose use such as a Grocery Bag, a Market Bag, a Beach Bag or a Tote bag.
Though I can call it anything depending on the usage, I mostly targeted it as a grocery bag. I carry all the vegetables and fruits in this whenever I go to the farmers market for grocery shopping.
I do not use this bag for clothes or shoe shopping for 2 reasons; the smell or particulates from the vegetables and sand from the beach sometimes stay inside the bag. This might dirty the clothes or the shoes.
I chose the pattern from Yarnspiration – Shopping bag. It is a very simple procedure. I will suggest following the size as mentioned in the pattern.
- I made a mistake of extending the double crochet row to 50 that increased the size much more beyond my capacity to hold.
- I’m restricted to use shopping cart from the store to the store parking lot and then use car trunk to carry it from the parking lot to my house. Due to weight, the bag is pulled down.
But, I can carry it around very well on my shoulder when used as a beach bag as the items do not have too much of the weight.
Remember wool expands when stretched. thus prefer small dimensions or use cotton yarn.
Dimensions of the Market Bag:-
- Length: 30″
- Width: 5″
- Height: 35″
- The pouch closing can be drawstring made of crochet chain, ribbon, resin strap, snap-button, zip etc.
- You can add pom-pom, tassels, charms, miniature idols, mini toys, amulets etc matching the color with the edging or the base color. Link to make pom-pom and tassels.
- You can attach flowers, beads, appliques or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather, fabric etc to make it more interesting.
Remember: do not over accessorize it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
- Choose the color matching with your outfit.
- You might suit the color with your other pouches or designs with your outfit.
- Choose the wool/cotton color based on the palette in your wardrobe/home decor. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colors.
- Yarn: Jo-Ann Caron One Pound – Expresso, Jo-Ann Caron One Pound – Azure
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 6mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customized form, please check out the following the further options. The color combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD-Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.