We often look for inspirations. But sometimes you love a design so much that it inspires you to create one. I was planning for my next project and was casually browsing online to find something good. The moment I saw it; I was charmed by the mosaic pattern.
It was my early days of crocheting and I have been working on small easily doable projects like beanies, fingerless gloves, and headband only. I did make Bobble Placemat before, but it was a just one-off. I had gone back to creating items.
I took a step forward to try out this Redheart – Mosaic Basketweave Placemat. The pattern is written very neatly and you will love working on it. You need to keep patience before you can see the success as the design takes shape. I left up to 4″ as a tail border. You can avoid it if you feel it a waste of yarn. You can just follow the instruction for the 5 rows and use your judgment. This does require calculation and observation so that you don’t end up wasting yarn. At most. you can still collect the leftover yarn and use them as fillers for amigurumi patterns.
I can say that this has been one of my most time-consuming projects ever except the blankets. But it did turn out to be a beautiful decorative item. Now tell me who does not want to eat on the table, adorned with such beautiful placemats?
Dimensions of the Placemat:-
- length: 16″
- breadth: 14″
- The sizes can be changed based on your requirement.
- Instead of tassels, you can have different edging.
- The edging can be made of Single Crochet (SC), Crab Stitch, Slip Stitch, Herringbone Half Double Crochet (HHDC).
- Instead of regular yarn, fur yarn will bring out a pop to the border.
- Instead of going for a different colour for the border, use both the base colours around for alternate rows.
- The border shouldn’t be too broad to pop out. The purpose should be to provide a clean edge.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
- Choose the colour matching with Kitchen interior.
- Go crazy with experimental contrast colours with your furniture to pop out a section. Make sure the interiors are mostly containing natural, neutral or earthy colours around.
- To showcase the pattern, you should always select a base colour and a contrast colour.
- For the stitches or pattern to be visible clearly, choose lighter shades of yarn.
- The mat should be different than the Dining Table/Kitchen counter top colour.
- This is Optional. The rubber liner will avoid slippage on any base – wood, quartz, ceramic, cement, granite, zodiac etc.
- The liner should not pop out. Select matching colour or subtle colour for your mat.
- If you are short of hot pads you can use these and save that precious table or counter top!
- Yarn: Vardhamaan Wool
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5 mm
- Measuring Tape
- Sewing Thread matching with the base colour.
- Sewing needles
- Non-Slippery Base: Rubber Spray Paint, Shelf Liner
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.