I tried making different patterns for a beautiful mum and her lovely daughter, and I was attracted towards the puff stitched slouchy hat made by Vickie Howell. I almost created the half of the hat for the daughter and then I realised the gaps in between would not be good to protect the head from cold air. Sure it looks wonderful but my focus is that the hat should do the basic function of protecting your head and then look good to the eye!
So, I switched to Cabled Textured pattern from Yarnspiration, which I had already listed on my to-do list, they are close stitched and they look beautiful.
Beauty for the brain!
The pattern is divided into 2 parts. One is the ribbed band and another is the body of the hat which is joined seeming to form this textured hat. The stitches included are Single Crochet (SC), Double Crochet (DC), Front Post Double Crochet (FPDC) and Back Post Double Crochet (BPDC) along with Slip Stitch (SL ST) and chains (Ch).
R1: Starting with Ch 10+ (depending on mum or daughter), SC from 2nd hook. Total 9 SC+.
R2: (Working on Back Loop only), SC in every SC. Total 9 SC+.
Repeat R2 till you get the desired length.
Stop at an even row. For the daughter, you can stop in between 56-64 rows. For Mum, you can stop in between 60-72 rows depending on your yarn thickness.
With SL ST, sew the edges and Ch 1. Continue with the same yarn to form a seamless body of the hat.
Remember: the texture hat pattern is formed in multiples of 5. Thus your ribbed band should stop at even number and multiples of 5.
Remember: to measure the width of the ribbed band as this will give to the final height of the hat. Thus, if the ribbed band is 2″ then the body needs to be 7″ to get 9″ height for an adult woman.
Since the ribbed band consumes 2″+, the body of the hat should be 7″ to form a 9″ height of the hat for an adult woman.
Calculation of the body: Final height of the hat – ribbed band height.
R1: Ch 1, SC around every SC edge. Join at the beginning SC with an SL ST. Total SC should be the total number of ribbed rows.
R2: Ch 2, DC on every SC; Join at the beginning DC with SL ST.
R3: Ch 2, 3 FPDC on next 3 DC, 2 BPDC on next 2 DC. Repeat across and join at the beginning DC with SL ST.
R4: Ch 2, 1 BPDC on 1st FPDC, 3 FPDC on next 3 stitches, 2 BPDC on next 3 stitches. Repeat across and join at the beginning DC with SL ST.
R5: Ch 2, 2 BPDC on 2 stitches, 3 FPDC on next 3 stitches, 2 BPDC on next 3 stitches. Repeat across and join at the beginning DC with SL ST.
R6: Ch 2, 1 FPDC on 1st BPDC, 2 BPDC on next 2 stitches, 3 FPDC on next 3 stitches. Repeat across and join at the beginning DC with SL ST.
R7: Ch 2, 2 FPDC on 2 stitches, 2 BPDC on next 2 stitches, 3 FPDC on next 3 stitches. Repeat across and join at the beginning DC with SL ST.
Repeat R3-R7 till you get 5″ or more.
Remember: The Body also needs to be recalculated as we are working bottom up. For an adult woman, if the ribbed band is 2″ then the body needs to be 7″. In this 7″, 3″ should be focused on forming the top base of the hat. Rest 4″ will be the height of the hat-body.
Or if you want to avoid so much calculation, then work on the same instruction for 7″ and sew at the top to make a slouchy hat.
I worked on the slouchy part. So, I repeated R3-R7 till I reached 7″. and sew at the top to create the slouchy effect.
To decrease the base of the hat, you can follow the written pattern of Yarnspirations.
I made the ribbed base with 13 ch and Single Crochet Back Loop Only (SCBLO). End with even row and sew with Slip Stitch (SL ST). I made the base 18″ length, which when joined, forms an 18″ circumference without stretching. It depends on the crochet hook and yarn texture. The hat expands and thus this ribbed base would be smaller than normal hat circumference i.e. 20″-22″.
The hat size is 9″ and it is sewn at the top.
Ensure the row ends in an even number. The pattern has 3 Front Post Double Crochet (FPDC) and 2 Back Post Double Crochet (BPDC) and a chain 2 at beginning of every row.
I made the ribbed base with 10 ch and Single Crochet Back Loop Only (SCBLO). End with even row and sew with Slip Stitch (SL ST). I made the base 14″ length, which when joined, forms an 18″ circumference without being stretched. It also depends on the crochet hook and yarn texture. The hat expands thus this ribbed base would be smaller than normal hat circumference i.e. 19″.
The hat size is 8″ and it is sewn at the top.
Make sure the row ends in an even number. The pattern has 3 Front Post Double Crochet (FPDC) and 2 Back Post Double Crochet (BPDC) and a chain 2 at beginning of every row.
- Multiples of 8. 4 FPDC and 4BPDC.
- I will suggest that it is better to rework initially while setting up the crown of the head. Typically, the crown diameter for an adult head should be between 6″-6.5″. As this will grow, it’ll be a comfortable fit for an adult head.
- For edging the last row, you can change the crochet hook to a smaller size to give a tighter set. But then it should depend on the face shape too, or best is to follow the same hook throughout.
- Remember the calculation. The body of the hat = Total height of the hat – Ribbed base.
- To form the body of the hat with decrease base size, you also need to calculate( depending on the target age group).
- The rest of the height of the hat-body = Total body height of the hat – 3″ (for decreased base of the hat).
In the end, the hat should measure 22″-23″. The wool stretches on prolonged use. so 22″-23″ is good for more fit and better protection from the cold.
Dimensions of Adult Hat:-
- Height: 9″
- Circumference: 20″-22″
Dimensions of Daughter Hat:-
- Height: 8″
- Circumference: 19″
- You can increase the base diameter to give a more slouchy feel. Also, increase the height of the beanie.
- You can add pom-pom matching the colour with the edging or the base colour. White or brown pom-pom, fur faux. There are different ways to create pompom.
- You can attach flowers, beads or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather etc to give a more feminine touch.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or had any queries, please contact me.
Mom-Daughter Textured Slouchy Hat
- Choose the colour matching with your winter jacket.
- Go for the contrast colour of your jacket. You might suit the colour with your cowl or gloves.
- Choose the wool colour based on the palette in your wardrobe. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colours.
- Yarn: Vardhman Wool – Pink
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you go ahead with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 4mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care, the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect through the Contact Page.