What these sounds remind you of? A telephone or a house doorbell.
While a doorbell is still present and efficiently used in most of the current houses, a telephone, an original bakelite telephone, is now considered as a vintage collection. The sound of the ring was Tring Tring! We used to roll the numbers with our fingers to dial. It was a strong and tough item that could be used to knock someone out too!
Not like the modern day-to-day smartphone where you are always concerned about it falling and shattering into pieces. The young generation may not familiar with these sounds anymore. Now you can have your own ringtones and doorbell sounds unlike us.
People born in 80’s and early 90’s are quite familiar with a bakelite telephone. We can recall those days when we used to run down to the hall to answer the phone. Unlike the mobiles and cordless devices of today, the phones used to have a big round dialer and no called id. Vintage! isn’t it?
Similarly, in the world of crocheting, a few designs are as Vintage patterns. Crochet Doily is one of the evergreen patterns. In India, these doilies cover the Bhoga (food offering) plate for the Hindu Deities. I tried this design for my customer, who has a small Pooja Ghar (Altar) inside her house. She can now offer Bhoga and cover it with a doily.
This is my first attempt to create a doily using crochet thread. I liked the Redheart – Mediterranean Surf Doily pattern. I tried making another one with regular yarn too. Table-cover, Patios table cover, Pooja-Ghar Thali etc are various ways where you can utilize doilies.
Dimensions of the Doily:-
- Diameter: 9″
- The sizes can be changed based on your requirement. Add a couple of last rows to increase the size.
- You can add ruffles, laces with embroideries, beads, ribbons, or buttons, fringes etc.
- These embellishments can be composed of suede leather, fabric, yarn, silk etc.
Remember: do not over accessorize it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
- Decorate the centre-table with this doily and vase.
- Use it as cover for offerings in Temples.
- Attach a couple more doilies to form a table runner.
- Yarn: Crochet thread white, Vardhman 4 ply wool
- Crochet hook: 1.75mm, 5mm respectively
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customized form, please check out the following the further options. The color combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD-Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.