As said before, when you work in men’s fashion – Black, Blue, White, Green, and Gray are your preferable SAFE COLORS. Any combination of these goes well too. While maroon, mustard, olive are new shades liked by men too; I still prefer using the safe colour combinations for any male audience.
The customer was looking for a stylish beanie for himself. So, I combined Black, White and Gray colours to make the beanie. The colours resembled as that of Irregular Striped Scarf. Thus you can carry this Knit Style Beanie with the Irregular Striped Scarf as Hat-Scarf combo set.
For a stylish beanie, I was searching for a smart design. Knitting has always fascinated me. Though it is not that difficult to learn, my inclination towards crochet pulled me look for something that can give you Knit look style.
The knit stitch look could be achieved by Half Double Crochet (HDC). The stitch has 3 hidden lines. Usually, we use the First or Back Loop of HDC for most of the patterns, but to create a knit style you need to use the 3rd loop beneath the first and make another HDC stitch. The detailed process is mentioned in My Hobby Is Crochet. Kinga has described it in an elaborate manner.
The Black, grey, white yarn sequence – 8 rows of black, 8 rows of white, 8 rows of grey, 4 rows of black.
R1: Started with a magic circle, and 12 Half Double Crochet stitches (HDC), join at the beginning. Total 12 HDC.
R2: Ch 2, *2 HDC in each HDC*; repeat *-*, join at the beginning. Total 24 HDC.
R3: Ch 2, *2 HDC in next HDC, HDC in next HDC*; repeat *-*, join at the beginning. Total 36 HDC.
R4: Ch 2, *2 HDC in next HDC, HDC in next 2 HDC*; repeat *-*, join at the beginning. Total 48 HDC.
R5: Ch 2, *2 HDC in next HDC, HDC in next 3 HDC*; repeat *-*, join at the beginning. Total 60 HDC.
Note: The total counts should be greater than 60 for any adult hat. It depends on the yarn, chosen crochet hook and your strength applied in each stitch.
R6: Ch 2, *2 HDC in next HDC, HDC in next 4 HDC*; repeat *-*, join at the beginning. Total 72 HDC.
R7: HDC in each HDC, join at the beginning. Total 72 HDC.
R8-R27: Repeat R7.
R28: Single Crochet (SC) in each HDC for edging.
- Height for an adult man hat: 9.5″
- Circumference: 23″-24″
The sizes could be altered based on the count of the stitches for the rows.
- For edging, you can use fur, Crab Stitch, Herringbone Half Double Crochet (HHDC) or Slip Stitch of same or contrasting colours.
- You can increase the base diameter to give a more slouchy feel. Also, increase the height of the beanie.
- You can increase the Brim by more than 1 row to define a brim.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Knit Style Beanie
- Select the yarn colour matching with your winter wear. Try out the Hat-Scarf combo, Hat-Gloves combo of the same pattern.
- Choose the contrast colours matching with your jacket.
- Choose the wool colour based on the palette in the wardrobe. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colours.
- Yarn: Red Heart Soft – Black, Red Heart Soft – Light Grey Heather, Red Heart Soft – White
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 6mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Markers: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.