Who says that themed beanies or scarves are only made for children and teens? When you are a grandfather or a grandmother, you have every right to wear themed based accessories along with your grandsons and granddaughters. I imagined the same when I started with the idea of making an American Football Theme beanie for grandpa. Following the Football theme, I had already created a Toddler Football Flap Beanie and Baby Football Cocoon. Thus, making a Football beanie for grandpa was an easy decision. They can wear during football season or at Halloween or Thanksgiving! All you need is a good family photo capturing the moments and embracing it forever.
It is simple Double Crochet stitch (DC) beanie with rows of white to create American Football theme. I have not added the stitches so that it doesn’t look extremely kiddish for grandpa. It can be easily worn on any occasions too. They can wear it anytime they want. The height of the beanie is 9.5″ and hat circumference is 22-23″. It can be carried as slouch beanie depending on the person’s head size.
R1: Started with a magic circle, and 12 Double Crochet stitches (DC), join at the beginning. Total 12 DC.
R2: Ch 2, *2 DC in each DC*; repeat *-*, join at the beginning. Total 24 DC.
R3: Ch 2, *2 DC in next DC, DC in next DC*; repeat *-*, join at the beginning. Total 36 DC.
R4: Ch 2, *2 DC in next DC, DC in next 2 DC*; repeat *-*, join at the beginning. Total 48 DC.
R5: Ch 2, *2 DC in next DC, DC in next 3 DC*; repeat *-*, join at the beginning. Total 60 DC.
Note: The total counts should be greater than 60 for any adult hat. It depends on the yarn, chosen crochet hook and your strength applied in each stitch.
R6: Ch 2, *2 DC in next DC, DC in next 4 DC*; repeat *-*, join at the beginning. Total 72 DC.
R7: DC in each DC, join at the beginning. Total 72 DC.
R8-R9: Change to white color. Repeat R7.
R10-R15: Change to the base color. Repeat R7.
R16-R17: Change to white color. Repeat R7.
R18: Change to the base color. Repeat R7.
- Height for an adult man hat: 9.5″
- Circumference: 22″-23″
The sizes could be alter based on the count of the stitches for the rows.
- For edging, you can use base color fur, Crab Stitch or Slip Stitch or Herringbone Half Double Crochet(HHDC).
- You can add the Football stitching in between the hat with white yarn. I avoided the stitch to the hat for multi-occasion.
Remember: do not over accessorize it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Gramp’s Football Theme Beanie
- Select the yarn color matching with you winter wear. Try out the Hat-Scarf combo, Hat-Gloves combo of the same pattern.
- Choose the contrast colors matching with your jacket.
- Choose the wool color based on the palette in the wardrobe. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colors.
- Yarn: Jo-Ann Red Heart – White, Jo-Ann Red Heart – Chocolate
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5.5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customized form, please check out the following the further options. The color combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD-Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.