Flower Power Bookmark
I believe in “Padho Aur Padhao” mantra. This means to read and teach. Learn and spread your learning.
The changing technology has enabled us to become mobile, by bringing everything into a digital form, including the book. Kindle, E-Book sites, Hub list, your local library online account etc. gives us ample options to read anywhere and anytime digitally.
However, I am still an old school gal. I like the feel of the book, Illustrative book cover and using bookmarks to save my page. It gives me a great escape from electronic devices too. Working in front of the computer for long hours, checking mobiles for chats and calls, using tab for handling all social media networking already involves too much of screen glare. Reading a book, a physical paper book gives me pleasure, keeps my eyes away from the display screen and creates a quiet meditation zone for me.
Previously, I used to buy books and bookmarks with creative quotes but now since I know to crochet, I love creating interesting bookmarks that push me to buy more books and read more!
And now, I want everyone to try out this old school book reading method by making creative, funny or attractive bookmarks. Pick a book and flaunt it with your creative bookmark. Here, I tried crocheting few flowers and turned them into girly Flower Power bookmarks!
Easy to make, easy to carry, easy to your eyes and mind!
I was looking for flower pattern to make a bookmark. I liked this Flower pattern from Rescued Paw Designs. The pattern uses Single Crochet stitch to create the flower and Bobble stitch to form the centre.
The pattern contains 2 steps:
- to create the flower petals.
- to form the string and centre bud.
R1: Starting with a Magic Circle, Ch 1 and 12 Single Crochet (SC); Slip Stitch (SL ST) with 1st SC. Total 12 SC.
R2: Chain 8, SC from the 2nd chain from the hook, 7 SC in next 7 Chains; SL ST Back Loop on the next SC.
R3-R12: Repeat R2.
Working on the Front Loop of the R1 SC Round, Chain 6, SC from the 2nd chain from the hook, 5 SC in next 5 Chains; SL ST Front Loop on the next SC.
Bud and String:-
Create a Bobble stitch and join to the 1st chain to form a bud. Chain 50+ to form the stem of 7″+. In the end, I have added the Knot My Designs Tag. Since the yarn was thick so I left 9″ yarn to form the stem and attached the Knot My Designs tag.
You can add tassel or leaves or pom-pom or leave at that.
¹Bobble Stitch: [Chain 4, DC from the 3rd chain from the hook keeping the last loop on the hook, 4 DC in the same chain keeping the last loop on the hook (In total there will be 5 loops on the hook= original loop and partial DC). Slip Stitch on all the loops and slip stitch on the last chain to a Bobble Stitch].
- String length: 9″
- Flower diameter: 3″
The sizes can be altered based on the count of the stitches for the rows.
- You can add pom-pom matching the colour with the edging or the base colour. There are different ways to create pom-pom.
- You can attach flowers, beads, tassel at the end of the bookmark
- You can remove the string and attach a paper clip for bookmark or Hair Clip for making a hair accessory.
- Or paste it on your wrapped item to make an interesting wrapping gift.
- You can add your tag.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegant simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Flower Power Bookmark
- Nothing to style!!! Time to read more and more.
- Style your brain with all information, someone’s perspective, vision, knowledge and cherish that.
- Love Reading!!!
- Yarn: Stash Basket, scraps of yarn.
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD Store
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adapt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs every time you use or share them.