Denim Bosnian Striped Beanie
I loved the Hazelnut Bosnian Beanie – Knot My Designs and decided to make one for myself. I admit that I follow Monk Wolle & Beanies religiously. Even though her videos are created in German, I followed her stitches. I love Aleksandras’ creations. All her merchandises are in simple patterns but the choice of colours make them look so attractive, contemporary and rich.
What can I say “Love has no Language”!!!
I simply fell in love with Striped Beanie pattern. The video instructions are in German, though. The process is similar to the Hazelnut Beanie – English. The change of colours can be a bit tricky, though.
Below, I am focusing only on the change of the colour. For the rest, you can follow the Hazelnut Beanie – Knot My Designs to complete the beanie.
Striped Colored Part:-
- Either you can use both the ends of the wool or buy 2 balls of wool of the same colour.
- Make sure you check each sections dimensions as detailed in Hazelnut Bosnian Beanie – Knot My Designs.
- The count increases or decreases based on the gauge of the wool, crochet hook used and your style. So, the re-checking again and again at the 1st part is extremely important.
For me, I am using 2-ply yarn. The recommended crochet hook is 4mm but I chose 5mm. Since I tend to move towards tighter stitch, I preferred bigger crochet hook to give the stretchable feel.
- Chain 10 with charcoal grey, chain 3 in cream, chain 3 in blue, chain 21 in cream using 4 balls of wool.
- Working on Back loop only, Slip stitch across.
- 20 counts in cream.
- Bring the cream wool strand in front and join blue yarn.
- Continue 4 counts in blue.
- Bring the blue wool strand in front and join cream yarn.
- Continue 4 counts in cream.
- Bring the cream wool strand in front and join grey colour.
- Continue 10 counts in grey, ch 1.
- Turn the work and 9 counts in grey. Bring the strand to the front and continue with Cream yarn. Continue the process.
I increased the count to 11 chains in blue, 4 chains in cream. 4 chains in blue, 31 chains in cream to obtain 9″ height of the beanie.
Remember to achieve more stretchiness the recommended crochet hook might not be the correct choice. Choose a larger hook than the suggested one.
One more point – your strength and style do matter. I tend to make a tighter stitch most of the time, thus I prefer a larger hook. If the crochet stitches you make is looser than you can go for the recommended hook or the hook suggested in the patterns.
Tips to remember when working on this pattern.
- If you do not have loose stitching technique like me, then it is better to use a larger crochet hook than the recommended one. Like the recommended one is 4mm but I used 5mm to get the stretchy feel.
- The beanie is made of the sections. So, it is best if we measure and note all the changes for the first section. For e.g. if the 1st section gives 4″ then to get 20″ there will be 4 more sections.
- Height of the hat: 9.5″
- Circumference: 23″
The sizes could be altered based on the count of the stitches for the rows.
- You can increase the base diameter to give a more slouchy feel. Also, increase the height of the beanie.
- You can add pom-pom matching the colour with the edging or the base colour. There are different ways to create pom-pom.
- You can attach flowers, beads or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather etc to give cuteness to the hat.
- You can put fur edging or tassels to give a different touch.
Remember: do not over accessorize it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Denim Bosnian Striped Beanie
- Select the yarn colour matching with your winter wear.
- Try out the Hat-Scarf combo, Hat-Gloves combo of the same pattern or different pattern but the same colour mix.
- Choose the contrast colours matching with your jacket.
- Choose the wool colour based on the palette in the wardrobe. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colours.
- Yarn: Vardhman Wool – Blue, Cream
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care, then the elegant stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adapt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs every time you use or share them.