The first and the most important lesson we learn in fashion is to avoid over-accessorizing ourselves with ornaments, heavy makeup, and bold outfit.
It is all about striking the right balance between glitz and simplicity, avoiding falling into any extremes. Be it in the makeup, hairdo, dress, or jewelry.
The same concept is applicable in interior designing as well. When decorating a house, we always focus on a central piece that creates an attraction and everything around is, to just complement it, to create a harmony.
Tip: We should follow the same concept while designing crochet products. If we use multi-color yarn, like OMBRE YARN, our optimal choice should be to go for a simple pattern. This not only complements the item but also brings the true color of the yarn.
I already bought a bulk of cotton ombre yarn to make a placemat for dark colored dining table set. I also decided to make a circular placemat. But I was not able to narrow down on the design. I finalized the pattern from PurlSoho – Granny Circular Placemat. But when I started making the placemat, I realized that I am not getting the desired look. So I drop out the plan and started making on my own. The procedure is very simple and looks beautiful. Within a couple of days, I completed the set of 6 placemats. The design resembles a wheel thus Wheeling Placemats.
R1: starting with a magic circle, make 12 Double Crochet – 12 DC.
R2: ch 2, 2 DC on every DC, join at the 1st DC – 24 DC.
R3: ch 2, *DC over 1 DC, 2 DC in next DC*, repeat *-*. join the round at 1st DC – 36 DC.
R4: ch 2, *DC over next DC, *ch 1, skip the next DC*, repeat *-*, end with Ch 1 and join the 1st DC.
R5: ch 3, *2 DC in ch 1 space, DC over DC*, repeat *-*, end with 2DC over ch 1 space.
R6: ch 3, DC over DC, join with Slip stitch at the 3rd loop of ch 3.
R7: ch 3, *ch 1, Skip the next DC, DC over next DC*, repeat *-*, end with ch 1 and join the 3rd loop of ch 3.
R8: ch 3, * 2 DC in ch 1 space, DC over DC*, repeat *-*, end with 2 DC over ch 1 space and join the 3rd loop of ch 3.
R9: ch 3, DC over DC, join with slip stitch at the 3rd loop of ch 3.
R10: ch 3, *ch 1, Skip the next DC, DC in next DC*, repeat *-*, end with ch 1 and join the 3rd loop of ch 3.
R11: ch 3, *DC in ch 1 space, DC in next DC, 2 DC in next ch 1 space*, repeat *-*, end with 2 DC over ch 1 space, join at the 3rd loop of ch 3.
R12: ch 3, DC over DC, join with slip stitch at the 3rd loop of ch 3.
R13: ch 3, *ch 1, Skip the next DC, DC over next DC*, repeat *-*, end with ch 1 and join the 3rd loop of ch 3.
R14: ch 3, *DC in ch 1 space, DC in next DC, 2 DC in next ch 1 space*, repeat *-*, end with 1 DC over ch 1 space, join at the 3rd loop of ch 3.
Dimensions of the Placemat:-
- Diameter: 14″
- The sizes can be changed based on your requirement.
- Instead of an ombre yarn, you can use 2 strands of different colors.
- The edging can be made of Single Crochet (SC), Crab Stitch, Slip Stitch, Herringbone Half Double Crochet (HHDC).
- Instead of regular yarn, fur yarn will bring out a pop to the border.
- Instead of going for a different color for the border, use both the base colors around for alternate rows.
- The border shouldn’t be too broad to pop out. The purpose should be to provide a clean edge.
Remember: do not over accessorize it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Circular Wheeling Placemats
- Choose the color matching with Kitchen interior.
- Go crazy with experimental contrast colors with your furniture to pop out a section. Make sure the interiors are mostly containing natural, neutral or earthy colors around.
- To showcase the pattern, you should always select a base color and a contrast color.
- For the stitches or pattern to be visible clearly, choose lighter shades of yarn.
- The mat should be different than the Dining table/Kitchen counter top color.
- This is Optional. The rubber liner will avoid slippage on any base – wood, quartz, ceramic, cement, granite, zodiac etc.
- The liner should not pop out. Select matching color or subtle color for your mat.
- If you are short of hot pads you can use these and save that precious table or counter top!
- Yarn: Jo-Ann – Bernat Handicrafter – Smokey Wine
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5.5 mm
- Measuring Tape
- Sewing Thread matching with the base color.
- Sewing needles
- Non-Slippery Base: Rubber Spray Paint, Shelf Liner
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customized form, please check out the following the further options. The color combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD-Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.