Cherry Wherry Slouch Santa Hat
When any kid thinks of Christmas, he thinks of Santa Claus and gifts.There are conflicting stories regarding the origin of Santa’s Costume- the Red robe with white fur border was designed by Coca Cola company.
But why Christmas explains that it was Thomas Nast from Harper’s Weekly Magazine illustration, who designed the costume. “On January 1st, 1881, Harper’s Weekly published Nast’s most famous image of Santa, complete with a big red belly, an arm full of toys and smoking a pipe!”
In continuation to making presents for my family on the auspicious occasion of Christmas, I decided to treat myself with a white-red colour combination hat. Initially, I thought to make a simple pom-pom Santa-Claus Hat. But then I changed my mind and decided to give it a twist. I can say this is my own pattern. It is a simple easy pattern that anyone can try making for themselves. It can be made of any colour combination you like. You can add either a crochet flower or pom-pom or both as an embellishment. I gave a slouchy effect with a broader edge which can be folded or unfolded and can be used as 2 different hat styles. One you can show-off as a slouchy beanie and another one you can fold around the brim to use as a simple beanie.
With white yarn, Chain 16. Back Loop Single crochet for 15 chains. Continue until the band reaches the 22-23″ (i.e. 72 rows). Join the ends. Run one round of single crochet at each single crochet edge of the band with the same yarn. Do not cut the yarn. Attach red yarn and start working on the base.
Note: The ribbing stretches by 2″-4″ depends on the crochet hook and yarn and your style.
Double Crochet On every single crochet (72). Repeat this in every row till the hat is 3-4″ or repeat up till 10 rows. Start decreasing 6 stitches evenly till the end round contains 12 DC. This means that
1: Double Crochet Together (DCtog) every 5th and 6th DC in the row. Total DC left = 60.
2: Double Crochet Together (DCtog) every 4th and 5th DC in the row. Total DC left = 48.
3: Double Crochet Together (DCtog) every 3rd and 4th DC in the row. Total DC left = 36.
4: Double Crochet Together (DCtog) every 2nd and 3rd DC in the row. Total DC left = 24.
5: Double Crochet Together (DCtog) every 1st and 2nd DC in the row. Total DC left = 12. Sew the ends.
- The ribbed band size depends on the target age as the circumference is made after sewing the rectangular band.
- Also, depending on the yarn thickness and elasticity, and crochet hook the ribbed band will stretch between 1″-3″.
- Make sure the number of rows ends in an even number.
- Height of the hat: 10″
- Circumference: 23″
The sizes could be altered based on the count of the stitches for the rows.
- You can increase the base diameter to give a more slouchy feel. Also, increase the height of the beanie.
- You can add pom-pom matching the colour with the edging or the base colour. There are different ways to create pom-pom.
- You can attach flowers, beads or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather etc to give cuteness to the hat.
- You can put fur edging or tassels to give a different touch.
Remember: do not over accessorise it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Cherry Wherry Slouchy Hat
- Select the yarn colour matching with your winter wear. Try out the Hat-Scarf combo, Hat-Gloves combo of the same pattern.
- Choose the contrast colours matching with your jacket.
- Choose the wool colour based on the palette in the wardrobe. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colours.
- Yarn: Oswal Red, Oswal White
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5.5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care, then the elegant stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customised form, please check out the following the further options. The colour combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD – Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adapt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs every time you use or share them.