Close-knit beanies are the best option to stay warm during cold and chilly winters. In crochet, one can get the same effect using a Slip Stitch. Also, known as Bosnian stitch or Shepherd’s Knitting in English. In the Norwegian, it is pjoning, and in Swedish, it’s krokvirkning, smygmaskvirkning, and bosnisk virkning.
While there is always a standard crochet hook to be used with specific yarn thickness, we can create various designs just by experimenting with the crochet hooks. For this design, in particular, it is usually recommended to use thicker yarn and match it with bigger crochet hooks for making a loose stitch where there is more space between the wool threads making the overall fabric more stretchable.
Also, if you change the entry point, in other words, where you insert the hook; from the front, in the back loop or vice versa, you can get different results and be amazed. You can consult A Basic Guide to Bosnian Crochet blog if you are doing an in-depth research.
Monk Wolles & Beanies is my favorite mentor. Aleksandra’s work is impeccable. Starting from the choice of colors to the creation to the final look, they attract everyone from crocheters to buyers. After working on her Hazelnut Beanie and Stripes Beanie, I jumped to make Long Beanie Bosnian Crochet.
Here, I wanted to make stretchy but close-knit, long but non-ribbed beanie. The beanie will resemble close to knit beanies and will provide the same warmth, durability, softness, and density. It will be long enough to cover your head and ears properly.
Remember to achieve more stretchiness the recommended crochet hook might not be the correct choice. Choose a larger hook than the suggested one.
One more point – your strength and style do matter. I tend to make a tighter stitch most of the time, thus I prefer a larger hook. If the crochet stitches you make is looser than you can go for recommended hook or the hook suggested in the patterns.
- Height of the hat: 9.5″
- Circumference: 23″
The sizes could be alter based on the count of the stitches for the rows.
- You can increase the base diameter to give a more slouchy feel. Also, increase the height of the beanie.
- You can add pom-pom matching the color with the edging or the base color. There are different ways to create pom-pom.
- You can attach flowers, beads or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather etc to give cuteness to the hat.
- You can put fur edging or tassels to give a different touch.
Remember: do not over accessorize it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Crochet Bosnian Long Beanie
- Select the yarn color matching with you winter wear. Try out the Hat-Scarf combo, Hat-Gloves combo of the same pattern.
- Choose the contrast colors matching with your jacket.
- Choose the wool color based on the palette in the wardrobe. Experiment and enjoy the beautiful colors.
- Yarn: Vardhaman Yarn – Maroon
- Crochet Hook: 5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels – Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customized form, please check out the following the further options. The color combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD-Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.