A baby; an infant; a little one; a newborn; is coming to this beautiful planet. You start thinking of names, checking out the kid’s section in the mall, setting up a plan for decorating the kid’s room, begin searching for parenting tips in the bookstores, and even start observing other parents. Your whole life is about to change; the priorities; the schedule; the life everything is going to change. You are going to have a whole new experience and indeed lots and lots of beautiful moments.
To capture one such moment, I planned to present a special handmade gift to my younger nephew. A baby football cocoon. I have already mentioned about the Toddler’s Football Earflap hat. Since I was planning to make a duo crochet gift for the brothers, I chose America football theme. This is my first attempt to make a cocoon for a baby and I am happy that it came out alright.
At present, the beanie is part of the cocoon’s body. We can also remove the body and use the head of the cocoon as separate beanie!
the cocoon can be divided into 2 parts:
- Cocoon body
The beanie process is simple. It’s basic Half Double Crochet Stitch (HDC) with white and chocolate yarn changed as required.
Starting from a magic circle and 8 Half Double Crochet (HDC), extend every row (up to row 6) by 8 counts till you get 48 HDC.
With White color yarn, extend 1 more row (i.e. row 7) by 8 counts to get 56 HDC. Continue 56 HDC for 3 more rows.
Change back to chocolate yarn, continue 56 DC to reach the height of the hat to 7.5″.
The pattern is taken from Celeste’s Here In the Waiting Place – Crochet Football Cocoon Hat. I have increased the chain stitches and no. of rows to make a slightly bigger.
- Height of the football beanie: 7.5″
- Circumference of the football beanie: 16″-18″
The sizes can be alter based on the count of the stitches for the rows.
- Height of the football cocoon: 22″
- Circumference of the football cocoon: 22″.
- You can increase the base diameter of the beanie to give a more slouchy feel. Also, increase the height of the beanie.
- You can add pom-pom matching the color with the edging or the base color. Link to make the pompom.
- You can attach flowers, beads or a bow made of crochet, plastic, suede leather etc to add more cuteness.
Remember: do not over accessorize it. This hides the beauty of the pattern itself. Believe in elegance simplicity!!
In case, you have stuck anywhere or have any queries, kindly contact me.
Baby Football Cocoon
- As the baby grows, you can just use the beanie.
- You can add straps to the cocoon to make it market bag for future use.
- Yarn: Red Heart Soft – White, Red Heart Soft – Chocolate
- Note: you can play around with different branded yarns as far as they give the synchronous flow of the pattern using a constant crochet hook.
- You can either go for the yarns with the same recommended crochet hook OR decide the yarn and change the crochet hooks along with the tightness on the crochet stitches as you proceed with the pattern.
- You can change the pattern to get the continuous flow.
- Crochet Hook: 5.5mm
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Marker: My stitch markers are the mini safety pins we get from clothing tags. You can buy from Michaels- Stitch Marker, Amazon – Stitch Marker, Jo-Ann – Stitch Marker. Use offers for better deals.
Quality Promise: If washed with care then the neat stitch guarantees perfection up to multiple washes. The wool quality might stretch upon multiple uses.
The crocheted, handmade and made to order item is already sold. In case you are looking forward to purchasing the same item or in any customized form, please check out the following the further options. The color combinations, the designs, the dimensions can alter easily based on your preference and usage.
- KMD-Etsy Shopping Gallery
- Etsy – Knot My Designs
- Drop an email – email@example.com
- Connect through the Contact Page.
All the contents including photos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Knot My Designs unless otherwise stated. Kindly do not republish them as claiming your own.
The patterns are free to learn and adopt, for personal consumption; however, kindly provide due credit to Knot My Designs everytime you use or share them.